This quick and easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe is filled with marinated chicken breasts and tender bell peppers and onion.
I believe it’s the ability to customize the tacos with all sorts of toppings, that make them a winner with the kids.
These Easy Chicken Fajitas are no exception.
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
With a simple chicken fajita marinade (just 6 ingredients) and a few quick minutes on a hot grill, you can have delicious chicken fajitas too!
Chicken Fajita Marinade –
When it comes to quick and flavorful, I’m the queen. That’s why you know this simple chicken fajita marinade is packing a punch with just a handful of ingredients.
- Lime Juice
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Powder
- Olive Oil
Simply combine the chicken fajita marinade with boneless, skinless chicken breasts (make sure you pound them to an even thickness first) in a zip-close bag and let marinate for just 15 minutes.
PRO TIP: You can marinate anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours. I wouldn’t marinate much longer than that as the lime juice will start to affect the overall taste of the chicken.
How To Make Chicken Fajitas
The first thing you’ll want to do is get your chicken marinated.
Second, slice up your bell peppers (I prefer to use multiple colors) and onions into thin strips.
How To Cook Fajita Peppers
Start with a large cast iron skillet and make sure it’s smokin’ hot.
Toss the sliced peppers and onions into the hot skillet and let them sit for a few minutes, until they charr nicely and start releasing their moisture.
Stir occasionally, and just before they are all charred add in a little bit of oregano.
PRO TIP: You’re looking for a texture that’s slightly charred on the outside and still has some bite to it.
How To Grill Fajita Chicken
Similar to how you cooked the peppers, make sure your grill is nice and hot!
If you don’t have a grill, try using a grill pan instead.
Cook the chicken breasts about 3 to 5 minutes per side, until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Finally, let the chicken rest under foil for about 5 minutes before slicing into strips.
Chicken Fajita Toppings:
Of course you can’t have a classic Chicken Fajita without all the toppings! Here are a few of our favorites to serve with these juicy chicken tacos…
- Lime wedges
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Avocado
- Pico de Gallo
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Chopped Cilantro
Are Chicken Fajitas Healthy?
Yes! I would classify these easy chicken fajitas as a healthy option because they’re filled with lean protein and tons of fresh peppers and onions.
Try serving the grilled chicken and fajita peppers over a bed of lettuce rather than wrapped in a tortilla to keep it even lower in calories.
What To Serve With Chicken Fajitas
You can never go wrong with a homemade Soft Flour tortilla, but we tend to go with store-bought for the ease.
Here are a few more delicious sides to serve with fajitas.
More Easy Fajita Recipes
Craving more? I’ve got you covered with these simple, yet tasty fajita favorites…
- Quick Steak Fajitas
- Chicken Fajita Rice Skillet
- Baked Chicken Fajita Burritos
- Veggie Fajita Burritos
- Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
You’re going to love these quick and easy Chicken Fajitas!
Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 small limes, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large bell peppers, varied colors, sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 10 small flour tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Avocado, sliced
- Limes, cut into wedges
- Shredded Cheese
- Heat the grill to a high heat (about 400 degrees F), and make sure grates are oiled and clean. Pound chicken breast to an even thickness by placing between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound with a heavy rolling pin or meat mallet.
- Combine the juice of 2 limes, olive oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt in a large zip close bag and shake to combine. Add in the chicken breasts and let marinade for at least 15 minutes.Grill the chicken over the hot grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Let rest for 5 minutes under foil before slicing into strips.
- Meanwhile, heat a large cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over high heat until it's smokin' hot. Toss in the peppers and onions (no oil is necessary), and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers and onions are charred and tender-crisp. Add in the oregano and cook until fragrant.
- Serve the grilled chicken with the charred peppers and onions along with warm tortillas and all the toppings you desire. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: