One thing you will always find in our house is rice. I usually buy one of those large 25 pound bags of rice at a time and we go through it pretty quickly. Whether it’s my Mexican Rice, rice served with my Orange Cauliflower or Sweet Fire Shrimp Bowls, we just can’t get enough of it.
Lately I’ve been obsessed with this restaurant in my new home town called Cafe Rio. They have an amazing assortment of Mexican dishes, but they all start out with rice and beans. Cilantro Lime Rice, to be exact.
The only problem with the restaurant is that they lines are always horrendous. It’s a sure sign that they have delicious food, but with 4 kids, standing in line for 35 to 40 minutes is just not feasible. My youngest daughters start using the line rails as gymnastic beams and swing around like monkeys, kicking everyone around us…
I had to make my own at home. And it’s actually soooo easy too!
I took my Easy Mexican Rice recipe then switched up the flavors, but kept the simple process for this amazing side dish.
You can whip this rice up in no time right on your stove top. I don’t have a rice cooker (and yes, I’ve heard they’re amazing and I’ll get one eventually), but I’m sure you could just toss all the ingredients into your rice cooker as well.
I love making this rice with my recipe for amazing black beans. When paired together they’re great in burritos, salads, tacos, or even just as a simple side dish.
The rice is aromatic and tangy and perfectly tender.
I have some in my fridge right now and all I can think about is the amazing salad I am going to make with the rice for lunch.
Don’t you just love a good side dish that doesn’t require a lot of effort?!Print
Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro Lime Rice is a delicious side dish you can serve with almost anything!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 3/4 cups long grain rice
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 limes, zest and juice of
- 1 large handful of chopped cilantro (about 1 cup)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion for 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the rice, garlic salt and cumin and stir, toasting the rice lightly for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, zest of 2 limes and juice from the limes to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 18 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice and then add the cilantro, stirring until the cilantro wilts slightly. Add a little more lime juice if desired. Enjoy!
Keywords: cilantro, lime, white rice