This Easy Mexican Rice Recipe is fragrant and fluffy and made in less than 20 minutes for the perfect Mexican side dish!
It’s quickly become my husband’s hands-down favorite Mexican Rice ever. EVER.
And… I’m going to have to agree with him.
A few years back (before I decided to become a food blogger; aka- when I didn’t know much about cooking), I had family over for Christmas Eve dinner. It’s tradition in my house to have Mexican food for Christmas Eve, so I planned accordingly… which meant I called up the closest Mexican restaurant and ordered a giant size container or rice and beans.
Since then, I have learned to master some of my favorite dishes and this Easy Mexican Rice is my latest conquest.
How to Make Mexican Rice:
- The first thing you want to do is sauté your onion in a little olive oil until it’s tender.
- Toss in some ground cumin and garlic salt.
- Toast your rice before adding in the liquid to finish it cooking.
This Mexican Rice is so easy to make, and so extremely flavorful with little hints of garlic and cumin in every bite.
Over the years I have made this Easy Mexican Rice with some flavor variations, and each time I’m always amazed at how delicious it turns out. This rice pairs perfectly with my Sweet Pulled Pork Enchiladas, Taco Meat, and Enchilada Casserole!
Mexican Rice Recipe Substitutions:
- If you are out of garlic salt, try using garlic powder and salt combined. Or use fresh garlic in place of the powdered.
- If you don’t have the diced tomatoes with green chilies, use regular diced tomatoes and add a 4oz can of diced green chilies.
- Out of limes? No worries, it still tastes great without the lime juice added!
Just before serving, add a couple tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro for an added burst of flavor to this easy Mexican side dish!
Grab a fork and dig in.
Easy Mexican Rice
Delicious mexican style rice that will wow your tastebuds and the family.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup (medium or long grain) uncooked white rice
- 1 tsp garlic salt (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 14 oz can Mexican Diced Tomatoes (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet (needs to have a fitting lid). Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
- Add the rice and stir, letting the rice toast slightly until it becomes a light brown. While it’s toasting add the garlic salt and cumin and keep stirring.
- Add the can of Mexican diced tomatoes (including the juices), lime juice and the chicken broth, stir and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, stir in freshly chopped cilantro and enjoy!
If you can’t find the 14oz can of Mexican Diced Tomatoes, use a can of regular diced tomatoes and a 4oz can of diced green chilies. (use as much or as little of the chilies as you prefer).
- Serving Size: 1
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: