This Easy Mexican Rice Recipe is fragrant and fluffy and made in less than 20 minutes for the perfect Mexican side dish!
Pair this delicious rice with my Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas, Ground Beef Tacos or add it to my Quick Taco Salad to bulk it up a bit. Don’t forget about making my Instant Pot Refried Beans too. It’s a classic combination!
It’s quickly become my husband’s hands-down favorite Mexican Rice ever. EVER.
And… I’m going to have to agree with him.
Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
Over the years of making this Mexican Rice I’ve learned a few tips and tricks that can easily make this recipe work with what ingredients I have on hand. I’ll share more about that in the substitutions section below.
Ingredients Needed For Basic Mexican Rice
- Olive oil
- Diced Onion
- White Rice – medium or long grain
- Garlic Salt
- Rotel Canned Tomatoes*
- Lime Juice
- Chicken Broth
- Chopped Cilantro
How to Make Mexican Rice:
- The first thing you want to do is sauté your onion in a little olive oil until it’s tender.
- Toss in some ground cumin and garlic salt.
- Toast your rice in the skillet before adding in the diced tomatoes and liquid to finish it cooking.
This Mexican Rice is so easy to make, and so extremely flavorful with little hints of garlic and cumin in every bite.
Over the years I have made this Easy Mexican Rice with some flavor variations, and each time I’m always amazed at how delicious it turns out. This rice pairs perfectly with my Sweet Pulled Pork Enchiladas, Taco Meat, and Enchilada Casserole!
Mexican Rice Recipe Substitutions:
- If you are out of garlic salt, try using garlic powder and salt combined. Or use fresh garlic in place of the powdered.
- If you don’t have the diced tomatoes with green chilies, use regular diced tomatoes and add a 4oz can of diced green chilies.
- If you’re not a fan of diced tomatoes in the rice, try swapping in 8oz of tomato sauce.
- Out of limes? No worries, it still tastes great without the lime juice added!
Just before serving, add a couple tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro for an added burst of flavor to this easy Mexican side dish!
More Easy Rice Side Dish Options –
Looking for more easy side dish rice recipes to try? These recipes are always favorites in our house…
- Garlic Parmesan Rice Recipe
- Red Beans and Rice
- Easy Vegetable Rice Pilaf
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 5 minute Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- Cheesy Taco Rice Skillet
Grab a fork and dig in.
Easy Mexican Rice
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet (needs to have a fitting lid). Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until just tender.
- Add the rice and stir, letting the rice toast slightly until it becomes a light brown. While it's toasting add the garlic salt and cumin and keep stirring.
- Add the can of Mexican diced tomatoes (including the juices), lime juice and the chicken broth, stir and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, stir in freshly chopped cilantro and enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: