Get ready to fall in love with these Sweet Pulled Pork Enchiladas!! I’m head over heels for that tender and sweet pulled pork on the inside, the homemade enchilada sauce, and of course all that cheeeeese!
How could this not be a winner?!
I’m hoping you made yourself some of that glorious enchilada sauce that I posted earlier this week, so we can get down to business with these here enchiladas.
No worries if you didn’t. The sauce takes only a few minutes. You can whip it up while the pork is cooking away in the slow cooker.
I actually shared my sweet pulled pork recipe waaaaay back in the day when I first started blogging. They’re not the prettiest of pictures, but the recipe…. mmm, mmm, good!
Over the years I’ve perfected my technique for making this recipe. As in, fewer dishes. You’re welcome.
So basically all you do is plop your pork shoulder into your slow cooker, add some root beer (non-diet) and a little water. Give it a little sprinkle of seasoning and let it cook for several hours.
The longer you cook it on LOW, the more tender and fall-apart delicious it becomes.
I let it go for 6 hours on LOW and then I pull out the pork and shred it with two forks. You’ll drain any juice that’s left in the crock pot and then put the pork back inside.
Then I throw some enchilada sauce, brown sugar, green chiles, and more root beer in a blender until they’re smooth. Pour that over the pork and let it cook for an additional 2 hours on low. The results are magical.
You can serve the pulled pork in tacos, burritos, over salads, in quesadillas, or in enchiladas!
Here’s a major tip you’re going to want to remember when it comes to enchiladas…
Don’t put sauce inside the tortillas!
If you think about it, there is sauce underneath and on top. If you add more sauce to the filling, you’re basically going to be eating straight sauce. Me no likey.
I love using a corn & flour blended tortilla for enchiladas. They’re easy to roll like a flour tortilla, but still have the great texture of a corn tortilla in the sauce. If you can’t find the blended tortillas, go for corn.
I bet you didn’t think there was so much to learn about enchiladas, did you?
I’m a wealth of enchilada knowledge.
In order to get that perfect melted cheese on top, be sure to shred your own.
Pre-shredded cheese is great in a pinch, but you’ll love the results so much more when you shred it yourself.
The toppings are optional, but I love sour cream, cilantro, tomatoes and avocado.
You’ll have everyone drooling with these tasty enchiladas!
Looking for some great side dishes to accompany this recipe?
Sweet Pulled Pork Enchiladas
For the Pulled Pork:
For the Enchiladas
- 2 cups enchilada sauce , divided
- 8 to 10 corn & flour blended tortillas, or just corn
- 3 to 4 cups shredded marbled cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced Tomato
- Diced Avocado
- Place the pork in your slow cooker and pour in 8 oz of root beer and 1/4 cup of water. Season the pork with garlic salt and pepper, then cover and let cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours remove pork and shred with two forks. Drain any liquid from the crock pot and return pulled pork to the crock pot.
- Combine the remaining root beer, 1 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, green chiles and brown sugar in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour over shredded pork and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for an additional 2 hours.
To make Enchiladas:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13" casserole dish.
- Place a generous 1/3 cup of pork on a tortilla and top with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, then roll up. Place seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat until the casserole dish is filled.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the tortillas and spread so the tortillas are coated. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted nicely in the center. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW