This Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork is a combination of simple spices and pork roast, slow cooked until it’s fall-apart tender and delicious.
Crockpot Pulled Pork is great on sandwiches, over salads, wrapped up in tortillas or even served over warm mashed potatoes!
Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipe:
- Start by generously seasoning a PORK BUTT ROAST with brown sugar and spices.
- Add a little apple cider vinegar to the bottom of the slow cooker and carefully place the pork roast inside.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until the pork easily falls apart when touched.
What Type of Pork To Use for Pulled Pork?
You’ll get great results and the best flavor from using any one of these cuts of pork to make your pulled pork.
- Whole Pork Shoulder Roast
- Boston Butt (which is half of the shoulder)
- Picnic Shoulder (the other half of the shoulder)
Spice Ingredients for Pulled Pork Rub:
For the best flavor, keep the spices simple, yet complimentary to the meat. Here are my favorite spices.
- Brown Sugar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chipotle Chili Powder – this gives the rubs a smokey flavor. You can substitute regular chili powder in it’s place if desired.
How Long To Cook Pulled Pork?
You’ll want to let the pork cook LOW and slow to really let it render and get nice and tender. You’ll looking at around 6 to 8 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F.
- 3 to 4 pound roast – check the temperature around 6 hours
- 5 pound roast – check the temperature around 7 to 8 hours
PRO TIP: Let the pork rest for about 20 minutes before shredding it with two forks.
Can You Freeze Pulled Pork?
Yes! You can definitely freeze any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
To reheat the frozen pulled pork: let it defrost in the fridge and then heat up in a skillet with a little olive oil over medium heat for best results.
How To Serve Crockpot Pulled Pork:
One of our favorite ways to use this Crock Pot Pulled Pork is on top of a toasted bun, slathered with honey bbq sauce and topped with Colby-jack cheese slices.
The combination of spices and apple cider vinegar make for the ultimate bbq flavors. I also use apple cider vinegar in my Instant Pot BBQ Ribs, it’s just so flavorful!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Toasted hoagie or hamburger buns
- Slices of Colby-Jack Cheese
- BBQ Sauce
- Mix the brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and chipotle chile powder together in a small bowl. Rub the outside of the pork with spices.
- Pour the apple cider vinegar and water in the bottom of your slow cooker and carefully place the pork inside the slow cooker, careful not to wash off the spices.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours until internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F (for smaller roasts, check the temperature earlier to prevent over cooking). Remove pork and let rest for 20 minutes before shredding with two forks. Add juices from the slow cooker as desired.
- Serve the pulled pork on a toasted bun with Colby-Jack cheese and bbq sauce. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: