This super easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe is the fastest and BEST homemade mashed potato recipe you’ll ever make!
Once you try these super quick and fluffy mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker, you’ll never go back to the stove top method again. Making mashed potatoes in your pressure cooker is a super easy, no fuss recipe that’s perfect for a quick side dish.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes In the Instant Pot:
- Start by washing and then cutting your potatoes into even chunks.
- Place the potatoes in your pressure cooker and fill with water until the potatoes are just covered.
- Set the pressure cooker to 8 minutes on HIGH pressure.
- Quickly release the pressure and drain the potatoes.
What Type of Potatoes to Make Mashed Potatoes?
My favorite type of potato to use for Mashed Potatoes is Yukon Golds because the skins are so thin that you do not need to peel them. However, if you prefer mashed potatoes without the skins, you would want to use your classic Russet potatoes.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes (or yellow potatoes) are great because you don’t need to peel them.
- Russet Potatoes (or baking potatoes) are great, but you’ll want to peel at least half of them before cooking.
- Red Potatoes are NOT ideal because they are higher in starch so they will not be quite as fluffy and taste waxy.
Once your potatoes are drained you’ll add some milk, sour cream and butter right to the bowl and mash with a potato masher.
Mashed Potatoes Recipe in the Instant Pot Tips:
- Start with smaller amounts of milk, sour cream and butter, then add more to desired consistency.
- Try swapping out buttermilk for the milk for a more tangy flavor.
- You can swap out the sour cream for plain greek yogurt or cream cheese to make it extra creamy.
- If you like your mashed potatoes extra light and fluffy, use an electric hand mixer to beat some air into the potatoes.
One of the Best Instant Pot Recipes!
Why is this one of the BEST Instant Pot Recipes?
- It takes just a few minutes of prepping, a few more minutes of cooking and a typical long-process side dish is ready in a fraction of the time!
- Everyone RAVES about this super simple recipe! Even my kids can’t get enough of it.
- Try making this delicious recipe along with my Instant Pot Meatloaf recipe AT THE SAME TIME!
You are going to LOVE this super simple Mashed Potatoes Recipe!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Making mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot is a super easy, no fuss recipe that’s perfect for a quick side dish.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 8
- Total Time: 23
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 3 lbs. Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 cup whole milk (or half and half or 2% milk)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Rinse and wash the potatoes, then cut into quarters. If using Yukon Gold potatoes, you do not need to peel them. If using Russet Potatoes, you can peel as much as desired. Add potatoes to the inner pot of your pressure cooker. Cover potatoes with water and add 1/2 tsp salt.
- Close lid on pressure cooker and set valve to closed. Cook on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes, followed by a quick pressure release.
- Drain potatoes and add the milk, butter, sour cream, garlic powder, black pepper and remaining salt. Mash with a potato masher or potato ricer until desired consistency is reached. Serve hot and enjoy!
If you want to double the recipe, increase cooking time to 10 minutes and test with a fork for tenderness.
Keywords: Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: