This Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe is ready in a fraction of the time and is ultra moist and tender!
Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe:
- Start by making sure your turkey breast is thawed.
- I am using a boneless, skinless turkey breast, but you can also use a bone-in breast as long as it can fit nicely in your pressure cooker.
- Pat your turkey breast dry with paper towels and then brush with olive oil.
The turkey breast was held together with kitchen twine, which I left on until I was ready to slice and serve.
I used a combination of seasonings then rubbed them all over the turkey breast. Once the turkey breast was seasoned I seared it on all sides using the SAUTÉ function of my pressure cooker.
Do I Need to Sear My Turkey Breast?
- The reason we are searing the turkey breast before we cook it under pressure is so that it “locks in” the flavors and moistness of the turkey.
- Is it a crucial step? In my opinion, yes, but it’s not going to ruin your turkey if you skip it.
- Just make sure to DEGLAZE the bottom of your instant pot before bringing the pot to pressure. (scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon)
It’s important to scrape the browned bits off the bottom for two reasons – it makes a delicious gravy, and it also helps the Instant Pot come to pressure.
Use a rack to keep your turkey breast elevated in the instant pot, over the turkey drippings.
Can I Cook a Frozen Turkey Breast in the Instant Pot?
- If you don’t have time to defrost your turkey breast, you CAN cook it from frozen.
- Skip the searing of the turkey breast and rub as much of the seasoning on the turkey breast as possible.
- Cook a frozen turkey breast for at least 12 minutes PER POUND of turkey breast, but check to make temperature is at least 165 degrees in the thickest part of the breast before slicing.
- When cooking a defrosted turkey breast, you’ll want to cook for at least 6 to 7 minutes PER POUND of turkey breast.
- Always allow the pot to release the pressure naturally for at least 10 minutes, to avoid all the juices escaping the turkey breast.
When you cut into the turkey breast you’ll see how extremely tender it is! It practically wants to fall apart!
My whole family LOVED this ultra moist and tender turkey. But what really sent it over the top was the delicious gravy I whipped up using the drippings in the Instant Pot!
Once you remove the turkey breast from the pressure cooker, cover it with foil to let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. While it’s resting let’s make some gravy!
How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Gravy:
- Pour the liquid from the bottom of the instant pot through a mesh strainer into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Place the pressure cooker on SAUTÉ mode and add 2 tbsp of butter, let it melt.
- Whisk in 2 tbsp of flour and cook until the flour is browned and no longer raw.
- Gradually whisk in the strained turkey drippings until the gravy is smooth and thickened.
You’re going to impress everyone with this super easy and mega-delicious Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe!
It’s the perfect recipe for a smaller holiday feast.
Don’t miss all of my other Thanksgiving Recipes HERE!
Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
- 4 lb. thawed boneless, skinless turkey breast*
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chicken, or turkey broth
For the gravy:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Pat the turkey breast dry with paper towels, then brush with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Combine the spices (paprika, Italian seasoning, thyme, salt, garlic powder and black pepper) and rub all over the turkey breast.
- Heat the pressure cooker on SAUTÉ high function and add 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp unsalted butter. Once hot, sear the turkey breast on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove turkey breast from the pot and pour in the chicken (or turkey) broth, while the pot is still in the SAUTÉ function. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom. Turn off the sauté function and place a trivet into the pressure cooker and place the turkey breast on top of the trivet.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and seal the vent to the CLOSED position. Cook on MANUAL HIGH PRESSURE for 24 to 28 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally (NPR) for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure. Check internal temperature of the turkey breast at thickest portion for 165 degrees F. Remove turkey from pressure cooker and tent lightly with foil for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
To Make Gravy:
- Pour the liquid from the bottom of the pressure cooker through a fine mesh strainer into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Return the inner pot to the pressure cooker and set to SAUTÉ HIGH mode. Melt 2 tbsp of butter, then whisk in 2 tbsp of flour, until the flour is browned slightly and no longer raw (about 2 minutes).
- Gradually whisk in the strained liquid, until the gravy is smooth and thickened. (makes about 2 cups of gravy)
Helpful Products to Make This Recipe:
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: