Slow Cooker Sweet Pulled Pork Tacos are super tender and are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
Slow Cooker Sweet Pulled Pork Tacos were one of the first recipes I posted on my site, over 7 years ago. The photos were in desperate need of an update, and since I practically make this shredded pork at least once a month, it was a no brainer to snap some new photos.
Now that summer is in full swing, I’m always looking for ways to make dinner without heating up the house. That’s where these gorgeous tacos (and my slow cooker) come in.
The pork is slow cooked in root beer to give it a subtly sweet flavor. Once it’s fork tender, the pork is shredded then simmered in the crock pot again with some enchilada sauce, a little more root beer and some diced green chiles.
This is where you can adjust the sweet and spicy to your pork. Add more enchilada sauce for more spice, add a little brown sugar for some extra sweetness. It’s up to you!
This recipe makes quite a bit of shredded pork, so here are some more great ideas to use with any leftovers:
- Serve the shredded pork inside some Enchiladas
- Make a Mexican salad
- Stuff the leftover pork inside a burrito
- Sometimes we use the extra pork on top of sheet pan nachos
One thing you definitely want to do is pair these tacos with my Spicy Tomatillo Ranch Dressing. Are you familiar with the Mexican restaurant Cafe Rio? This is where the inspiration for this recipe came from.
Did you know that Cafe Rio was originated in my hometown of St. George, Utah? It’s slowly taking over the world. And I’m happy about it. Now you can taste it’s deliciousness from the comfort of your own home!
Put this one on your menu! You’re going to love it!
Slow Cooker Sweet Pulled Pork Tacos
- 3 lb. Boneless Pork Shoulder Roast
- 16 oz. Root beer, non-diet, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup red enchilada sauce
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 12-16 soft taco size flour tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced Tomato
- Diced Avocado
- Place the pork in your slow cooker and pour in 8 oz of root beer and 1/4 cup of water. Season the pork with garlic salt and pepper, then cover and let cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours remove pork and shred with two forks. Drain any liquid from the crock pot and return pulled pork to the crock pot.
- Combine the remaining root beer, 1 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, green chiles and brown sugar in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour over shredded pork and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for an additional 2 hours.
- Serve tacos with warm tortillas and all the toppings. Enjoy!
originally published on July 13, 2010 | photos updated June 15, 2017
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!