Once you try this Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipe you’ll never buy the canned version again!
I use this enchilada sauce all the time… it’s ridiculously good, guys!
I’ll make a double, sometimes triple batch of this sauce and store it in jars in my fridge just so it’s ready to go whenever I need enchilada sauce. In the summer months when I have loads of tomatoes I even make enchilada sauce from the fresh tomatoes.
You know how the canned versions of enchilada sauce has that tin-flavor to it? They also tend to be super runny. I love this sauce because you can make it a little thicker so it really sticks to the enchiladas. But if you prefer it to be thinner you can add a little more chicken broth. Adjust the spices to your flavor preference, but I think the combination of what I have down there in the recipe is a real winner.
The possibilities are endless with this homemade version!
I’m sharing a delicious new enchilada recipe later this week, so be sure to pop on back to grab it!Print
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Once you try this Homemade Enchilada Sauce you’ll never buy the canned version again!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable or cannola oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Place the diced tomatoes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Gradually add the flour and chili powder while whisking until the mixture is smooth and no lumps are present.
- Continue to whisk while you pour in the blended tomatoes and chicken broth. Add the remaining spices and once the mixture begins to bubble slightly turn the heat to low and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the flavors have blended.
- Use sauce in a recipe, or store in an air tight container in the fridge for later use. Enjoy!
recipe adapted from Recipe Girl
Keywords: homemade, enchilada, sauce