Once you try this Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipe you’ll never buy the canned version again!
I’ll make a double, sometimes triple batch of this sauce and store it in jars in my fridge just so it’s ready to go whenever I need enchilada sauce. In the summer months when I have loads of tomatoes I even make enchilada sauce from the fresh tomatoes.
How To Make Homemade Enchilada Sauce:
- Start by blending up a can of fire-roasted tomatoes until smooth.
- Heat some oil up in a skillet and whisk in some flour and chili powder until smooth and then gradually whisk in the blended tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Add in a little cumin, onion powder and garlic salt and let simmer until thickened and heated through.
What Is Enchilada Sauce Made Of?
Enchilada sauce is a tomato and chili pepper based sauce that’s perfect in Mexican dishes. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this simple recipe.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes – I like to use this type of tomato because it adds another level of flavor. You can also use fresh tomatoes that have been roasted and then blended to a smooth consistency (you’ll need about 2 cups blended).
- Canola Oil – you can also use vegetable oil
- All Purpose Flour – this is used to create a roux, giving the enchilada sauce it’s thicker, creamier consistency.
- Chili Powder – using chili powder makes this enchilada sauce a super quick recipe, where traditional enchilada sauce is made by boiling down chili peppers and then creating a sauce from that.
- Chicken Broth – you can also use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version.
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Salt
Recipes To Use Enchilada Sauce:
There is no wrong way to use this finger-licking good sauce, but here are a few of my favorites!
Can I Can This Enchilada Sauce for Later Use?
Yes! You can definitely can this sauce in a pressure canner. I would double or triple the recipe to make it worth the process of canning.
- Process your lids as directed by the manufacturer
- Wash and rinse your pint size jars and keep hot until ready to fill
- Ladle the hot enchilada sauce into the jars, leaving about 1/2″ of headspace. Wipe the rims with a damp cloth and seat the lids. Put on the rings and tighten finger tight.
- Process at 6 lbs. pressure for 20 minutes, following the directions that came with your pressure canner.
I’m confident you’re going to love the taste of this super quick and easy enchilada sauce. So much so, that you’ll never buy the canned version again!
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe:
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Once you try this Homemade Enchilada Sauce you’ll never buy the canned version again!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Place the diced tomatoes in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Gradually add the flour and chili powder while whisking until the mixture is smooth and no lumps are present.
- Continue to whisk while you pour in the blended tomatoes and chicken broth. Add the remaining spices and once the mixture begins to bubble slightly turn the heat to low and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the flavors have blended.
- Use sauce in a recipe, or store in an air tight container in the fridge for later use. Enjoy!
This recipe makes approximately 3 cups of enchilada sauce and can easily be doubled or tripled.
Keywords: homemade, enchilada, sauce