This one pan Mexican Chicken Taco Skillet has become an instant family favorite around here!
Filled with tender chicken and fluffy rice, corn, tomatoes and piled high with all the taco toppings plus some crunchy nacho cheese tortilla chips, this is one dinner you’ll make over and over again!
This easy dinner comes together in minutes and is prepared all in just one pan.
Mexican Chicken Taco Skillet
I’ve taken my Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet and turned it into a cheesy, chicken casserole in a pan. You’re going to love the flavors of this chicken taco dinner.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this Mexican Chicken Taco Skillet. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken Thighs – or use shredded chicken to make it even quicker
- Mexicorn – a blend of corn and peppers
- Diced Tomatoes
- Taco Seasoning – my homemade blend is spectacular!
- White Long grain rice
- Chicken Broth – low sodium
- Colby-Jack Cheese
- Nacho Chips – like Doritos
How To Make Chicken Taco Skillet
The flavors coming out of this one skillet dish are just incredible. I think it has something to do with cooking the rice right in the skillet with the chicken and taco seasonings.
It basically absorbs all the goodness and makes this dish flavor packed.
COOK CHICKEN Start by cooking the chicken pieces in a large, hot skillet along with the onion until they’re browned on the outside and the onion is tender.
ADD RICE Stir in the diced tomatoes, mexi-corn, rice, chicken broth and seasonings and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes until the rice is tender.
TOP WITH CHEESE Give the rice mixture a cook stir, then top with the shredded cheese. Cover and let it melt, then top with your favorite taco toppings.
The Best Taco Toppings
You know I can’t have anything Mexican related without going crazy on the taco toppings. Here’s a list of what I highly recommend…
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Chopped Avocado
- Sliced Black Olives
- Diced Green Onions
- Chopped Cilantro
- Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips
What To Serve With Chicken Taco Rice
What totally makes this skillet dinner are the crunchy nacho cheese doritos served along side.
Hence – Chicken TACO Skillet.
You can serve them underneath the chicken and rice mixture or use the chips to dip/scoop up the goodness. Either way, it’s super addictive!
PRO TIP: This rice mixture is also fantastic when wrapped in a large tortilla and served like a burrito.
More Mexican Chicken Recipes
These recipes are more Tex-Mex than Mexican, but you get the idea. Here are a few more tasty recipes you’ll definitely want to check out…
- 20 Minute Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Crispy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Green Chicken Enchiladas
I can’t wait for you to give this easy recipe a try! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Chicken Taco Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 taco seasoning , packet
- 1 diced tomatoes, 14oz can
- 1 Mexicorn - (corn and pepper blend), 11oz can, drained
- 3/4 cup white rice, long grain (I use Jasmine)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 oz. colby jack cheese, shredded
- Nacho Cheese flavored Dorito chips
- sour cream, tomatoes, diced avocado, black olives, cilantro, etc.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the onion and chicken pieces in the oil until the chicken is browned and the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes (undrained), mexicorn, white rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes (or until rice is cooked through), stirring halfway.
- Top with cheese and cover for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from heat and top with Nacho Cheese Doritos and additional taco toppings as desired. Enjoy!