This quick and easy Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Skillet is everything you love about classic enchiladas without all the fuss. It’s another one of my 30 minute dinners!
With just a handful of ingredients, you’ll be totally hooked on this dinner just like we are.
Ingredients for Skillet Enchiladas
- Chicken Thighs – make this even quicker by using shredded rotisserie chicken
- Garlic Powder
- Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- Salsa – my restaurant salsa is perfection in here and it only takes minutes in the blender
- Enchilada Sauce – homemade or store bought
- Corn Tortillas – cut into strips
- Mexican Cheese Blend
How To Make Quick Enchiladas
This recipe is not your average enchiladas. We aren’t rolling anything in tortillas and we’re not even heating up the oven. That’s what I love about this recipe, it can quickly be made on the stove top in under 30 minutes with no fuss at all!
- SAUTÉ Start by sautéing your chicken thighs with the garlic, cumin and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until heated through.
- SIMMER Toss in the black beans, salsa and enchilada sauce and bring to a simmer, until the beans are heated through.
- TORTILLAS Add in strips of corn tortillas and stir gently, heating the tortillas until they soften slightly and are coated in the sauce.
- CHEESE Top with the shredded cheese and cover with a lid until the cheese melts.
- TOPPINGS Add your favorite toppings such as sour cream, diced tomato, green onions, avocado, etc.
Flour or Corn Tortillas in Enchiladas?
Traditionally, enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. However, if you prefer the taste of flour tortillas, feel free to use them instead.
PRO TIP: Use a pizza cutter to quickly and easily slice the corn tortillas into strips before adding them to the skillet.
Tips and Variations for Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Skillet:
- Use (2 cups) shredded chicken for a quicker way to get dinner on the table.
- Swap in any of your favorite canned beans such as, pinto, white, kidney or garbanzo.
- Top with your favorite toppings like sour cream, pico de gallo, guacamole, etc.
- Try using green enchilada sauce in place of red!
More Enchilada Recipes To Try:
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Flat Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
I think you’re really going to love this quick and easy weeknight dinner! It’s one my family has thoroughly enjoyed!
Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups red enchilada sauce
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 small white corn tortillas, cut into 1" strips
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream
- Diced Green Onions
- Diced Avocado
- Diced Tomatoes
- Season chicken thighs with garlic powder, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper. Sauté in a large skillet over medium heat (no need to add any oil) until the chicken thighs are lightly browned and cooked through.
- To the skillet add in the black beans, enchilada sauce and salsa. Bring mixture to a simmer and heat until black beans are cooked through.
- Add in the strips of corn tortillas and stir gently until coated in sauce and heated through. Top the mixture with the shredded cheese and cover with the lid for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Garnish with your desired toppings and enjoy!