This quick and easy Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Skillet is everything you love about classic enchiladas without all the fuss. It’s another one of my 30 minute dinners!
You know how I love my One Skillet meals, and then combine that with my passion for Mexican food and these one pan enchiladas were born… Oh mama, talk about a winning combination.
With just a handful of ingredients, you’ll be totally hooked on this dinner just like we are.
Ingredients for Skillet Enchiladas
- Chicken Thighs – make this even quicker by using shredded rotisserie chicken
- Garlic Powder
- Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- Salsa – my restaurant salsa is perfection in here and it only takes minutes in the blender
- Enchilada Sauce – homemade or store bought
- Corn Tortillas – cut into strips
- Mexican Cheese Blend
How To Make Quick Enchiladas
This recipe is not your average enchiladas. We aren’t rolling anything in tortillas and we’re not even heating up the oven. That’s what I love about this recipe, it can quickly be made on the stove top in under 30 minutes with no fuss at all!
- SAUTÉ Start by sautéing your chicken thighs with the garlic, cumin and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until heated through.
- SIMMER Toss in the black beans, salsa and enchilada sauce and bring to a simmer, until the beans are heated through.
- TORTILLAS Add in strips of corn tortillas and stir gently, heating the tortillas until they soften slightly and are coated in the sauce.
- CHEESE Top with the shredded cheese and cover with a lid until the cheese melts.
- TOPPINGS Add your favorite toppings such as sour cream, diced tomato, green onions, avocado, etc.
Flour or Corn Tortillas in Enchiladas?
Traditionally, enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. However, if you prefer the taste of flour tortillas, feel free to use them instead.
PRO TIP: Use a pizza cutter to quickly and easily slice the corn tortillas into strips before adding them to the skillet.
Tips and Variations for Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Skillet:
- Use (2 cups) shredded chicken for a quicker way to get dinner on the table.
- Swap in any of your favorite canned beans such as, pinto, white, kidney or garbanzo.
- Top with your favorite toppings like sour cream, pico de gallo, guacamole, etc.
- Try using green enchilada sauce in place of red!
More Enchilada Recipes To Try:
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Flat Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
I think you’re really going to love this quick and easy weeknight dinner! It’s one my family has thoroughly enjoyed!
Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups red enchilada sauce
- ½ cup salsa
- 6 small white corn tortillas, cut into 1" strips
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream
- Diced Green Onions
- Diced Avocado
- Diced Tomatoes
- Season chicken thighs with garlic powder, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper. Sauté in a large skillet over medium heat (no need to add any oil) until the chicken thighs are lightly browned and cooked through.
- To the skillet add in the black beans, enchilada sauce and salsa. Bring mixture to a simmer and heat until black beans are cooked through.
- Add in the strips of corn tortillas and stir gently until coated in sauce and heated through. Top the mixture with the shredded cheese and cover with the lid for about 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Garnish with your desired toppings and enjoy!
We loved it, I used leftover chicken and added the seasoning as soon as I put it in the skillet. I decided to use green enchilada sauce as that is what I had on hand. This recipe was FAST and EASY and DELICIOUS.
Loved this recipe! We made it into a rice bowl, with lots of toppings! So good!!
That sounds great! So glad you enjoyed it Jane!
Is the recipe for your enchilada sauce and salsa posted somewhere?
Yes, it’s listed in the recipe card and within the blog post with hyperlinks to each blog post. Here are they are again…
Enchilada sauce – https://iwashyoudry.com/homemade-enchilada-sauce/
Salsa – https://iwashyoudry.com/restaurant-style-salsa-recipe/
Where did you get the stackable pots you showed in your camper?
I found them on Amazon. You can find them here: https://amzn.to/3n4Yqh1
How do you make enchilada sauce? Recipe please!
Here is my homemade recipe: https://iwashyoudry.com/homemade-enchilada-sauce/
Made this for my family last night, had to make the enchilada sauce with a little adjustment as based in the UK but it was fantastic, thank you. Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes 🙂
I needed a recipe for stove top enchiladas(my oven quit working) and this was perfect! So easy to make and my crew loved it!
So easy and yummy! Kids (age 7 and 1) loved it also. And added bonus made delicious lunch leftovers.
Hi – Could I make this with hamburger? That’s what I have in the fridge 🙂
Yes, for sure!
Delicious and so easy! It seemed a bit soupy, bu I only the exact amount of corn tortillas available in my fridge so I couldn’t add more. But as my husband said, soupy enchiladas are better than no enchiladas! I definitely will make this again.
My homemade enchilada sauce is not as liquidy as store bought, so maybe that’s the difference? Either way, I’m glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
This looks awesome ! Although I do have to ask , aren’t the tortilla strips chewy/kind of soggy since they are mixed in with all the ingredients?
The tortillas to get softer and chewy. Similar to how they are in an enchilada. You’re using corn tortillas here, not flour.
can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs? This looks great 🙂
Where do I find that pan?
I love this pan! I found it on Amazon and use it often – https://amzn.to/3bibuJq
My family LOVES this recipe. I use the packaged rotisserie chicken meat from Costco and make a double batch. Hooray for leftovers! This recipe is super quick and easy. A definite go to meal, but also a great option for company. Thank you!
I’ll totally use the packaged rotisserie chicken when I want it even faster! So glad you enjoyed it!
I made this for my family and we all loved it. I have been using some of your recipes and they are all delicious! I have loved everyone of them, thank you!
That’s wonderful to hear! I’m so glad you are enjoying them!
Do you coat the chicken with these spices before you share it
Either way works. If you season with the chicken in the pan, that should be fine too!
I left out tortilla strips and used this a a dip with nacho chips. Also made my own enchilada sauce. Excellent!
Sounds like a great way to enjoy it!
The Chicken Black Bean Enchilda Skillet was a hit tonight for dinner! I did add a bit more cumin, chili powder & smoked paprika to the canned enchilda sauce to bring up the hit more. Hands down this was our fav dinner for the week!
That’s so great to hear Chris! I’m so glad you all enjoyed it!
This recipe is fantastic and so quick and easy to make. Will a have to double next time as it only was enough to feed 4 hungry adults.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it Margaret!
I made this for supper. It was so good. Instead of the tortilla strips,I made rice. 3adult people loved it..thanks for all your recipes..yum!
Oh, I like that idea too! Thanks for sharing Marilyn!