This super easy CrockPot Shredded Chicken is slow cooked and perfectly seasoned so it’s fall apart tender. Perfect for using in all your shredded chicken recipes!
Whenever I find a sale on chicken breasts, I stock up and make a bunch of this flavorful shredded chicken in my slow cooker. Not only can you use the chicken right away, but it’s also great for freezing for a later date.
CrockPot Shredded Chicken Recipe:
- Simply add some chicken broth to your slow cooker, followed by 5 lbs. of chicken breasts.
- Season liberally with seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Slow cook for 6 to 8 hours, until the chicken is tender and falls apart easily with a fork.
How Much Chicken Can I Put In The CrockPot?
You can customize this recipe to the amount of chicken you have on hand. I typically buy one of the value packs of chicken breasts, which is around 5 to 7 pounds.
- Under 3 pounds of chicken – use half the chicken broth and seasonings, and cook LOW for 6 hours
- 4 to 7 pounds of chicken – use amounts called for in recipe below.
- Over 7 pounds of chicken – double the chicken broth and seasonings, and cook LOW for 8 hours (check for tenderness with fork)
Because chicken breasts vary in thickness, cooking times may vary. The best way to know if the chicken breast is cooked and tender is to use two forks to pull apart the chicken at the thickest portion of the breast. If it falls apart easily, you’re good to start shredding. If it’s still tough, cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes and check again.
How To Shred Chicken Breasts
There are several methods to shredding chicken breasts. Some take a little more time than others, but each are equally effective in results.
- Hands – You’ll want to make sure the chicken has cooled before pulling the chicken apart with your clean hands.
- Two forks – Use two forks to pull apart the chicken with the grain of the meat. You can do this when the chicken is still hot.
- Hand Mixer – This is a great method when cooking chicken in the slow cooker. Simply put the beaters of your hand mixer into the crock pot and turn your hand mixer to low speed. This will finely shred your chicken breast right in the crock pot!
- Stand Mixer – Similar to the hand mixer, but use your paddle attachment for a thicker shred.
Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Recipes:
Once you’ve cooked and shredded your chicken you can use it in an assortment of ways! Here are a few of my favorites.
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Quick Asian Chicken Salad
- Hawaiian Haystacks
- BBQ Chicken Pasta Skillet
- The BEST Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Can I Freeze Shredded Chicken?
Yes! You can easily freeze this cooked shredded chicken for up to 2 months, which makes this a great way to meal plan and prep.
You’ll definitely want to bookmark this All Purpose Chicken Recipe to come back to again and again!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Easy CrockPot Shredded Chicken
- Season chicken breasts with seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder and onions powder. Pour chicken broth in slow cooker and add chicken breast.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours until chicken easily falls apart with two forks. Toss the shredded chicken in the juices from the slow cooker.
- Use right away or let cool completely and store in a zip close bag in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE