This Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe is filled with tender chicken and noodles in a creamy mushroom sauce and topped with loads of cheese.
YESSS!! I love a good casserole recipe and this one brings back all the memories from my childhood.
Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
What exactly is Chicken Tetrazzini? Tetrazzini typically consists of non-red meat(we’re using chicken here) and pasta served with a creamy white sauce.
While the name Tetrazzini may sound very Italian (named after an Italian opera singer in the early 1900’s who lived in San Fransisco), this classic dish originated in America.
Some common substitutions are using leftover turkey meat in place of the chicken. You could also use ham!
Ingredients for Chicken Tetrazzini
I’ve amped up the flavor, while still keeping this an easy weeknight casserole by using flavor-packed ingredients.
Here’s a basic list of what you’ll need, as always, you can find the full printable recipe in the recipe card below.
- Linguine Pasta – or any other similar shape pasta (spaghetti, fettuccini)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – you can swap out with cream of chicken soup if you’re not a fan of mushrooms
- Sour Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Cooked, Shredded Chicken – you can shred from a rotisserie chicken or use my slow cooker option to make your own
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
How To Make Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini
This recipe takes only a few minutes of prep work before you toss the casserole in the oven to finish baking.
I love the ease of prepping this recipe ahead of time so I can freeze and save for another date and bake fresh when I’m ready!
- Start by boiling your pasta noodles until they’re al dente (still have some bite to them).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, chicken broth, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Add in the cooked chicken, noodles and parsley and stir to combine.
- Pour into a prepared baking dish, cover with mozzarella and parmesan cheese then cover with foil and bake until bubbly!
Watch How To Make Chicken Tetrazzini Video
What Type Of Pasta Goes In Tetrazzini?
When it comes to Chicken Tetrazzini, you’ll want to use a nice long pasta.
You can use: Spaghetti, Thin Spaghetti, Fettuccini, or Linguine. That being said, I’m sure this recipe would be phenomenal with a short pasta too!
Linguine is my favorite because it’s not super wide, and not too thin. It holds up well in a baked pasta dish.
What Can I Substitute Cream of Mushroom Soup With?
Not a fan of mushrooms? No problem!
You can easily swap out the cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken soup.
Not a fan of cream soups? No worries! Use this recipe in place-
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup finely diced mushrooms
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot and sauté mushrooms until tender. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir to cook, just one minute.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth, and heavy cream. Simmer until thickened and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the remaining sauce ingredients to this mushroom soup mixture and continue on with the recipe!
How To Freeze and Store Tetrazzini
Like I mentioned earlier, this super creamy and cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini is perfect for meal prepping.
FREEZE AHEAD: Prepare the recipe according to the instructions, up until baking. Then let cool, cover with plastic wrap, then a layer of foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Prior to baking, remove tetrazzini from freezer, place in fridge and let defrost for 24 hours. Remove plastic wrap and bake as instructed.
STORE LEFTOVERS: This dish remains extra creamy even after it’s been baked and refrigerated. We reheat small portions in the microwave, covered with plastic wrap until heated through. You can also reheat the whole casserole, covered, at a lower temperature until heated through.
Pro Tip: I love using these freezer friendly casserole dishes with lids to store in my freezer!
What To Serve With Pasta Tetrazzini
Since this dish is already packed with carbs, you can skip the Garlic Breadsticks if you want (although it’s one of our favorites).
Here are a few more easy sides that will pair nicely…
- Any sort of steamed vegetable
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Easy Creamed Spinach
- Buttery Sautéed Zucchini
I’m telling you, this recipe comes together suuuuuper fast!
It’s the perfect dinner to make when you have company coming over because it feeds a large crowd.
The leftovers are just as creamy and filling in my opinion!
More Comforting Pasta Casserole Recipes
I do love a good pasta casserole! Here are a few more that you MUST try!
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Freezer Friendly Baked Ziti
- Ultimate Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Cheesy Lasagna Stuffed Shells
I can’t wait for you to take a bite of this comforting Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe! I’m sure you’ll fall in love.
Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- 12 oz. Linguine pasta
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 20 oz. cream of mushroom soup*
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook linguine pasta according to package instructions, until al dente. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9x13" casserole dish with non stick spray and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine melted butter, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, chicken broth, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Add in the freshly chopped parsley, cooked chicken and drained, cooked pasta. Stir until combined. Pour creamy pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes, until bubbly in center. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: