This cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is a hearty chicken dinner filled to the brim with creamy pasta, chicken, bacon and then topped with crispy tater tots.
This is a unique casserole that even my pickiest eaters love! You really can’t go wrong with a good pasta casserole.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
I put shredded chicken in a tater tot casserole, then added crispy bacon, and a deliciously cheesy ranch-infused Alfredo sauce.
The base of the sauce is butter and cream cheese, along with milk and cream of chicken soup for added flavor. The cheese makes it extra creamy and delicious!
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need to make this Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole. As always, you can find the full ingredient list in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken – cooked, chopped or shredded
- Bacon – regular or thick cut.
- Pasta – rotini or penne work well.
- Cream Cheese
- Milk – 2% or whole work best for a super creamy sauce!
- Ranch Dressing Mix – the dry mix packet, NOT regular ranch dressing!
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Mozzarella Cheese – shredded
- Salt & Pepper
- Tater Tots
- Green Onions – fresh, for garnish
How To Make Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
This tater tot hotdish casserole is easy to put together! I’ll walk you through the directions step by step!
Boil The Pasta
Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside.
Make The Ranch Alfredo
Whisk together the butter and cream cheese in a large pan on medium heat until smooth (it may take a few minutes, just keep whisking!)
Next, gradually pour in the milk and ranch dressing mix and whisk until smooth and thickened, then stir in the cream of chicken soup.
Add the mozzarella to the pan and stir until melted. You should have a creamy, cheesy sauce that’s finger-licking good!
Add Pasta and Chicken
Toss in the drained pasta and cooked chicken to the hot ranch-infused alfredo sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to Baking Dish
Pour the mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish and top with the crumbled bacon and tater tots in a single layer.
Bake the casserole for 28-32 minutes, or until the tots are golden brown and crispy and the center of the casserole is bubbly. Top with sliced green onions and any other optional toppings you desire. That’s it!
PRO TIP: To make the tater tops extra crispy, bake them on a sheet pan for 15 minutes before topping the casserole, then finish baking.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Here are some easy tips and variations for this easy tater tot casserole.
- This recipe uses rotisserie chicken, but you could easily swap it with leftover turkey, ham, or pork.
- Mozzarella is a lovely melting cheese, but you could use provolone or a nice smoked gouda for a lovely flavor boost.
- Topping options! Sour cream, tomatoes, or parsley would add flavor and a pop of color.
How To Store Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
SERVE: This casserole is best served fresh and warm but can easily be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated until time to bake.
STORE: After cooling to room temperature, cover or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
FREEZE: You can freeze this casserole in a freezer-safe, air-tight container for up to 3 months before thawing and baking or reheating.
More Rotisserie Chicken Dinners
This is an amazing rotisserie chicken casserole! If you need more ideas for using rotisserie chicken, I got you. Here are a few to try…
If you’re ready for a weeknight dinner that will be loved by all, this one is it!
Ultimate Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- 8 strips bacon, (cooked and crumbled)
- 12 oz. Rotini pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup butter, salted
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 oz ranch dressing mix, the powdered kind
- 1 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 32 oz. tater tots, frozen bag
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the butter and cream cheese in a large pan on medium heat until smooth (it may take a few minutes, just keep whisking!).
- Gradually pour in the milk and ranch dressing mix and whisk until smooth and thickened, then stir in the cream of chicken soup. Add the mozzarella to the pan and stir until melted.
- Add the pasta and cooked chicken to the ranch alfredo sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish and top with the crumbled bacon and tater tots in a single layer.
- Bake casserole for 28 to 32 minutes, or until the tots are golden brown and crispy and the center of the casserole is bubbly. Top with sliced green onions and any other optional toppings you desire. Enjoy!