This quick and easy BBQ Chicken Quesadilla uses simple ingredients for a delicious and flavorful lunch, snack or dinner!
Easy BBQ Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve enjoyed this quick and simple variation to the classic quesadilla. Too many to count!
These basic ingredients are my go-to for that sweet and smoky bbq chicken flare.
The ingredients by themselves may seem uneventful, but when combined, it’s a flavor-explosion in your mouth!
- Shredded Chicken – you can either make your own, or pick some off of a rotisserie chicken.
- BBQ Sauce – use your favorite brand. (mine is Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ)
- Shredded Cheese Blend – use either a mixture of shredded cheddar and mozzarella or a colby jack blend.
- Sliced Purple Onion
- Chopped Cilantro – it really makes the flavors pop
- Large Flour Tortillas
PRO TIP: This recipe would also work really well with any leftover grilled chicken, steak or shredded pork that you might need to use up.
How To Make Quesadillas
- The first thing you want to do is toss your shredded chicken in the bbq sauce and heat it up a little in the microwave (or stove top). Since it doesn’t take too long to melt the cheeses in the quesadilla, heating up the chicken beforehand will ensure that the middle of the quesadilla is nice and hot.
- Heat a griddle or large flat pan over medium-high heat and place a large tortilla down. You’ll place about 3/4 of the cheese on half of the tortilla and top with a little chicken, sliced purple onion and just a little cilantro, followed by the remaining cheese.
- Fold over the tortilla and let cook for a few minutes, turning over halfway, until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is nice and crisp.
What To Serve With
These cheesy and saucy quesadillas are great on their own for a quick lunch, but here are my fave side dishes to pair with for a complete meal…
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Like I mentioned above, you can use any sort of pre-cooked chicken or protein in here, just make sure it’s warmed through before putting it in the quesadilla.
- Not a fan of raw onion? Try using the crispy french fried onions to add a little crunch.
- Add a touch of butter to the pan to give your quesadilla a nice golden brown crust.
- Drizzle a little extra bbq sauce in the quesadilla for a saucy finish.
- I usually use a non-stick pan or griddle to cook my quesadillas, but a well seasoned cast iron pan will work too.
More BBQ Chicken Recipes To Try
If you’re loving this combo of flavors, you simply HAVE to try these recipes too…
- BBQ Chicken Pasta Skillet
- Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza
- BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Family Friendly BBQ Chicken Pinwheel Bake
I can’t wait for you to give this super simple recipe a try!
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- ¼ cup bbq sauce, divided
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded colby jack cheese, divided
- ¼ cup purple onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the shredded chicken and bbq sauce in a small bowl and warm up in microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until heated through.
- Meanwhile heat a non-stick pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, place the large tortillas down (you may have to do one at a time depending on the size of your griddle). Place ½ cup of cheese on one side of each of the tortillas, spreading out to reach the edges of the tortilla. Top each side of the tortillas with ½ of the shredded chicken, ½ of the purple onion and ½ of the cilantro. *if desired, drizzle a little bbq sauce on top.
- Finish by using the remaining cheese and sprinkling it over the filling. Fold over the tortillas, enclosing the filling and let cook on one side until the tortilla is browned and the cheese is melty. Carefully flip over and finish cooking on other side until browned.
- Remove quesadillas from griddle and slice into wedges. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: