This Orange Crush Cake is a light and fluffy cake that is infused with Orange Crush Soda, in both the cake and frosting for a delightfully moist and orange fragranced cake!
Have you ever made a cake with soda-pop in it?
It’s crazy to think how this works, but it actually makes the cake light and fluffy, while still keeping it moist and delicious!
I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the carbon dioxide in the soda, giving the cake those extra air pockets for fluffiness!?
This cake is actually super easy and can totally be adapted to any flavor soda you like!
My kids are obsessed with those tiny mandarin oranges, so I figured this would be a fun cake to make and then top with the oranges.
Not only is there orange soda in the cake, but I also used it to help make the creamy, two ingredient frosting!
Do you remember Dream Whip? It’s found in the same isle as the cake mixes, and is basically a powdered whipped cream. Usually you would combine it with milk, but I used some cold orange soda and HOLY COW! That is some good stuff!
The color of the cake and frosting turned a pale orange, which I thought was gorgeous.
Of course if you wanted a more vibrant orange you could always add a few drops of orange food coloring to the cake and frosting.
But with a pretty orange segment on top of each slice, I think this is just a super simple and pretty cake!
Once you taste this Orange Crush Cake, you’ll fall in love too.
Both the cake and frosting are light and fluffy, with just a hint of orange flavor.
It’s the perfect cake for summer!
Can you just imagine all the flavor possibilities with this?!
Orange Crush Cake
- 1 white cake mix, box
- 2 1/4 cups orange soda, cold (divided)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 envelopes Dream Whip, whipped topping mix
- 1 mandarin oranges, small can (drained)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13" cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the cake mix, 1 1/4 cups of cold orange soda, canola oil and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk on low speed for 30 seconds then increase speed to medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool completely.
- Combine 1 cup of the cold orange soda with 2 envelopes of the Dream Whip topping mix in a large bowl and beat on low for 30 seconds, then medium speed until soft peaks form. Spread topping over cooled cake and garnish with mandarin orange segments. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW