I’m so excited to share this Cherry Surprise Cake with you today! If there’s one thing I love, it’s a good surprise cake on your birthday!
And today happens to be that day. 🙂
I couldn’t think of a more fun way to celebrate my birthday than with this gorgeous cherry stuffed, funfetti bundt cake!
I switched out the vegetable oil in this moist cake with 100% pure coconut oil. It’s awesome because it gives the cake some extreme moisture without any added coconut aroma or taste.
You can easily switch out butter, vegetable oil, or lard in a 1:1 ratio with coconut oil. 🙂
I’m all about doctoring up a cake mix to make it taste incredible, but also be extremely easy to make.
This is one of those cases. I prepared mine in my stand mixer, but (as you can see in the video below), I used a large bowl and whisk just as easily.
I added my cake mix, some vanilla pudding mix, some plain greek yogurt (sour cream also works), a few eggs and the LouAna Coconut Oil to the bowl.
After mixing it, I decided it needed more sprinkles.
What’s a life without sprinkles?! Boring. That’s what.
My little cutie was super eager to help pour in the colorful sprinkles, so of course I let her.
Just a tip– make sure to use the fat cake sprinkles. The smaller balled sprinkles will bleed color into the batter and you won’t have the pop of color you’re after.
Once your cake batter is ready, just spritz your bundt cake pan with some non-stick cooking spray.
Ok, how awesome is this coconut oil cooking spray?!
After you’ve got the pan coated, sprinkle some flour in to coat it. This helps the finished cake come out of the pan nice and easy.
Here’s the trick with the surprise cake, you’ll want the batter to be nice and thick (which it is, thanks to the addition of the vanilla pudding mix), so you can create a little valley in the batter.
Scoop just half of the batter into the prepared pan, then create your valley.
You need to be careful to not let the cherry filling touch the sides of the cake pan. This will help keep the cherries in the center of the cake, once it’s baked.
Use a spoon to make sure you place the cherries in there without touching the sides.
Now just carefully take the remainder of the batter and place it on top in little dollops.
Use a spatula to spread the batter all around, making sure to cover all the cherries.
Once the cake is baked and has cooled for at least 10 minutes, you can invert it onto your cake stand or plate.
Let it cool completely before placing any icing on, otherwise the icing will just run off.
I just made a quick icing with powdered sugar and milk, then covered the cake with more sprinkles.
How gorgeous is that?!
Not only will the outside be beautiful, but when you cut into it, there is a sweet cherry filling that no one can resist.
I’ve made this cake 4 times already.
Yeah, we like cake. And hellooooo, it’s so stinking good! The cake is moist and delicious, the filling is sweet and juicy, and the frosting is simple and the perfect addition.
I actually have another one of these cakes waiting in the fridge for tonights birthday festivities.
Can’t wait for another slice!
Here’s a fun little video I put together on how to make this gorgeous cake!
Cherry Surprise Cake
- 1 Funfetti Cake Mix, box
- 1 Vanilla Pudding Mix, 3.4oz
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 3/4 cups LouAna Coconut Oil, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2 to 3 tbsp colorful cake sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups cherry pie filling
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Colorful Cake Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a bundt cake pan with non-stick spray and then sprinkle in about 2 tbsp of flour, coat the pan with the flour, discard any excess flour.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, greek yogurt, coconut oil, and eggs. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the cake sprinkles if desired and stir until combined. Batter should be thick.
- Scoop half of the batter into the prepared bundt cake and spread to an even layer. Use a spatula or spoon to create a valley in the batter, bringing it up on the sides and middle of the pan.
- Spoon the cherry pie filling into the valley of batter and then top with the remaining batter, being careful to enclose all the pie filling and not let it touch the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set. Let cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto your cake plate. Let cool completely.
For the Icing:
- To prepare the icing simply whisk together the powdered sugar and milk. The icing will be really thick. If you want a thinner icing add just a teaspoon more milk at a time until desired consistency is reached. Pour over the cooled cake, letting it run down the sides. Sprinkle with cake sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with LouAna Coconut Oil. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible.