Lemon Blueberry Surprise Cake is a deliciously moist cake that’s filled with a surprise blueberry filling!
Lemon Blueberry Surprise Cake is one of my new favorite cakes! The cake is super moist, almost poundcake consistency with a sweet blueberry pie filling inside. I top the cake with a simple white icing and a sprinkle of toasted coconut. It’s bright, cheery and completely irresistible!
Last year I made a Cherry Surprise Cake and I haven’t been able to stop thinking of new variations for this cake ever since.
The cake starts with a lemon cake mix and is thickened up with some lemon instant pudding mix and thick greek yogurt.
To get that surprise filling you’ll want to scoop half of the batter into your cake pan and then spoon the blueberry pie filling right in the center. Top the cake with the remaining batter and bake!
I loved the bright lemony flavor that was bursting out of this cake, plus the sweet blueberry filling was a nice surprise too!
You could also use fresh blueberries instead of the blueberry pie filling if you can’t find it.
Here are some more awesome flavor ideas for this fun cake:
- Swap out blueberry pie filling for fresh blueberries
- Use cherry pie filling instead of blueberry
- Mix in a tablespoon of poppy seeds with the lemon cake mix for a fun twist
This cake just screams SPRING to me. I especially love the toasted coconut on top, it really makes the flavors of the cake pop!
Not to mention how pretty it makes it. You can definitely leave the coconut off if you’re not a fan though. 🙂
When you’re making this cake, just be sure to let it cool for about 15 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto your serving plate to let it cool completely. That way the blueberry filling has a chance to firm back up a bit.
Not gonna lie, this cake tasted so good that it reminded me of a jelly filled donut. 😉
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
Lemon Blueberry Surprise Cake
- 1 box Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 3.4oz package lemon INSTANT pudding mix
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups canned blueberry pie filling
For the Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cold milk
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a bundt cake pan with non-stick spray and then sprinkle in about 2 tbsp of flour, coat the pan with the flour, discard any excess flour.
- In a large bowl combine the cake mix, lemon pudding mix, greek yogurt, oil, and eggs. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 2 minutes. Batter should be thick.
- Scoop half of the batter into the prepared bundt cake and spread to an even layer. Use a spatula or spoon to create a valley in the batter, bringing it up on the sides and middle of the pan.
- Spoon the blueberry pie filling into the valley of batter and then top with the remaining batter, being careful to enclose all the pie filling and not let it touch the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set. Let cool for 15 minutes before inverting onto your cake plate. Let cool completely.
For the Icing:
- To prepare the icing simply whisk together the powdered sugar and milk. The icing will be really thick. If you want a thinner icing add just a teaspoon more milk at a time until desired consistency is reached. Pour over the cooled cake, letting it run down the sides. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut if desired. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE AND SHARE THE RECIPE!
Just baked this! I added a few berries to each layer of the batter for a pop of freshness! Come out great. Thank you for this recipe!
This looks so yummy. I’ll try do it. Thanks for sharing!
Analida's Ethnic Spoon
This looks so beautiful and delicious. I love the addition of toasted coconut. Yummy..