This super easy Apple Crisp Recipe is filled with fresh Granny Smith apples in a sweetened brown sugar sauce and topped with a buttery oat crumble.
Serve this comforting dessert warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of salted caramel sauce for the ultimate treat!
If you haven’t picked up a package, now is the time! You’re going to LOVE how easy they are to use – especially for this recipe.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
If you love a slice of fresh apple pie, then you’ll be absolutely hooked on this simple apple crisp!
Technically in our family, we call this dessert Apple Junk. But trust me, this warm and comforting treat is far from junk.
Ingredients Needed for Apple Crisp
Here’s a basic list of what you’ll need to make this apple crisp. As always, you can find the printable list with measurements in the recipe box below.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Old-Fashioned Oats
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter in Half Sticks
- Chopped Pecans – you can leave out or replace with sliced almonds
- Granny Smith Apples
- Lemon Juice
How To Make Oat Crumble Topping
To make the topping, or brown sugar crumble, you’ll want to use COLD butter that’s been diced into little cubes.
Use clean fingers to get in and quickly massage the dry ingredients into the butter until it becomes a coarse mixture.
Immediately place the bowl into the fridge until ready to top the apple mixture.
What Type of Apples To Use for Apple Crisp?
The best type of apple you can use when making an apple crisp is going to be a Granny Smith apple. These apples are best for baking, as they hold their shape better and become tender without getting mushy.
While the Granny Smith apples tends to be more tart by themselves, the tartness really mellows out and you’re left with a sweeter flavor when baked.
I have a handy tabletop apple peeler, slicer and corer, which makes light work of the task.
How To Make Apple Crisp with Fresh Apples
Skip the canned stuff — this fresh apple recipe will blow you away!
In order to get that delicious brown sugar glaze over the apples, we start off by combining Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter in Half Sticks with all-purpose flour.
Next, add in a little water, lemon juice, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
Finally, stir in your chopped apples to coat.
Place the apple mixture into a greased baking dish and then cover with the chilled oat crumble topping.
All that’s left to do now is bake until the center is nice and bubbly and the topping is browned and crisp.
Tips for Making Apple Crisp
By now you can see that making a homemade apple crisp is really easy. Here are a few of my best tips for success every time…
- Make sure you use Granny Smith apples for the best texture. Other apples may cause a more mushy result.
- Chill your butter for the topping and work quickly to achieve the best crumble.
- If using salted butter, omit the added salt in the filling and topping.
- You can double this recipe to make enough for a 9×13″ pan. Just bake longer ’til the center is bubbly.
More Apple Recipes To Try
Craving more? Here are some of my favorite apple recipes that I think you’ll love…
I can’t wait for you to give this easy apple crisp recipe a try! I know you’re going to love it!
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
For The Oat Topping
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
For The Apple Filling
- 2 lbs. apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin, about 3 to 4 cups.
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rub butter in a 7x11" baking dish (or similar size) and set aside.
To Make the Topping
- Combine the flour, oats, pecans, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Add in the chilled butter and use clean fingers to pinch the butter and create a coarse mixture. Place bowl in fridge until ready to use.
To Make the Filling
- Stir in the sliced apples and coat evenly with the brown sugar mixture. Pour apple mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the oat crumble topping.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until center is bubbly and top is browned nicely. Let the apple crisp cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: