This Banana Crumb Cake Recipe is a moist and tender banana cake with layers of brown sugar crumb topping and a sweet icing drizzle.
With fall baking well under way, I’m super pumped to be partnering with Land O’Lakes again to share this quick and easy Banana Crumb Cake Recipe!
How To Make Banana Crumb Cake Topping:
- Start by mixing up your crumb topping – combine COLD butter with brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and a pinch of salt if desired.
- Use a pastry cutter or a sturdy fork to create a crumble mixture.
- Set this aside and quickly mix up the banana cake batter.
How To Make Banana Cake:
- Mash 4 medium ripe bananas in a large bowl, then pour in melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk to combine; add half of the milk, then whisk, followed by the remaining dry ingredients and more milk.
- Pour half of the batter into a 9″x13″ pan that’s been sprayed with non-stick spray and sprinkle with 1/3 of the crumb mixture.
- Add the remaining banana cake batter over the top and then finish off with the remaining crumb mixture.
What’s so great about this recipe is that you can easily whisk all the ingredients together by hand. Meaning you don’t have to pull out the electric hand mixer or stand mixer to get to this sweet goodness!
Can I Make This Cake Ahead of Time?
Yes! While I really enjoy this cake warm out of the oven, you can definitely make it ahead of time too. The cake stays moist for days. Just make sure to cover it tightly.
You can store this cake at room temperature. No need to refrigerate.
Is Banana Cake a Dessert or Breakfast?
I mean, since it’s loaded with bananas, one might lean towards the breakfast side, but I’ll let you decide on this one.
We serve this at Sunday brunch or as a quick weeknight dessert, but I know I wouldn’t pass up this goodness for breakfast either.
Just wait till you smell the amazing aroma coming from your oven while this cake is baking. The middle layer of crumb topping melts right into the fluffy banana cake creating a pocket of pure deliciousness.
Drizzle a simple powdered sugar glaze right over the top and let it melt right into the beautiful brown sugar crumb topping. YUM!
Can I Halve This Recipe?
Yes! This recipe makes a large 9×13″ pan, but if you don’t need that much (or maybe only have two ripe bananas), this recipe is easily cut in half. In fact, using the Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter in Half Sticks make this recipe a breeze to scale down.
- Reduce the pan size to 8×8″
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut all ingredients in half and prepare as instructed.
Craving More Banana Recipes?
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe:
Banana Crumb Cake Recipe
For the Crumb Topping:
For the Banana Cake:
For the Crumb Topping:
- Combine the cold butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl and use a pastry cutter or sturdy fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients, creating a crumbly topping. Set aside.
For the Banana Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl until smooth. Add in the melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, whisk to incorporate. Add in half of the milk, whisking again to incorporate. Whisk in the remaining dry ingredients followed by the remainder of the milk.
- Pour half of the cake mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with 1/3 of the crumb mixture. Pour the remaining cake batter over the top, followed by the remaining crumb topping.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before adding glaze.
For the Glaze:
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a small dish and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: