I’m back with another amazing one skillet dinner! This Cheesy Sausage and Macaroni Skillet is a quick and easy dinner that’s packed with veggies, noodles and sausage in an aromatic and creamy tomato sauce.
When I was younger my parents both worked full time. Dinner was typically make-ahead casseroles or hamburger helper.
My dad was usually home before my mom, and I always loved helping him make those quick weeknight dinners. Hamburger helper was his specialty, and that’s exactly what this dinner reminds me of.
Only better. Way better.
Start off by browning some sausage in a skillet. Ground beef would work too, but I like the aromatic spices that come in sausage.
Toss in some diced peppers and onions. My kids love bell peppers, so it’s easy for me to sneak those in one skillet dinners like this. You could also try adding in veggies like green beans, broccoli, or leaving out the veggies altogether.
Toss in the uncooked noodles. YES, uncooked! That’s what is so awesome about these one skillet dinners, the noodles get cooked in the sauce, making them so much more flavorful.
Add some marniara sauce and chicken broth.
Top off the saucy skillet with some shredded mozzarella and you’re all set!
Dinner comes together so quick! My kids loved this one so much that we’ve included it in our monthly meal rotation.
Obviously being a food blogger means I’ve got a bajillion meals in rotation… but this one is so easy, I’ll gladly make it weekly!
You’re going to love this one!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Cheesy Sausage and Macaroni Skillet
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- 2 cups macaroni noodles, large
- 24 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet cook the sausage on medium heat until crumbled and browned. Drain off any fat.
- Return skillet to heat and stir in peppers, onion, dried macaroni, marinara sauce, chicken broth and Italian Seasoning. Stir and bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for about 18 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Add the heavy cream and mozzarella and stir well, until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Enjoy!