This epic Pumpkin Magic Cake recipe has three layers of deliciousness – a pumpkin pie layer, followed by a vanilla cake layer and topped with a light and fluffy pumpkin spiced mousse.
I spent a long time perfecting this recipe. It finally came out just right, and I think you’re going to love it!
This cake is for the people who aren’t necessarily a fan of pie crust, but love the goodness of pumpkin pie.
Pumpkin Magic Cake
I took my famous Pumpkin Pie filling and added it on top of a boxed vanilla cake mix and something magical happened.
The pumpkin pie filling sunk to the bottom and the cake mix rose through the top… creating a beautiful layer when sliced into.
Here’s the basic list of the ingredients you’ll need in order to make this delicious cake. It’s perfect for the holidays!
- Vanilla Cake Mix – any size box will work as long as it’s meant for a 9×13″ pan
- Eggs, Oil, Water – called for in the cake mix
- Pumpkin Puree – not pumpkin pie filling
- Evaporated Milk
- Heavy Cream
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Pudding Mix – you can substitute with sugar free version if desired
- Cold Milk
- Cool Whip – thawed
How To Make Pumpkin Magic Cake
This unique pumpkin cake is actually quite simple to make.
PREPARE BOX CAKE MIX Start by combining the ingredients for the box cake mix in a bowl and mixing it up according to the package instructions. (You could swap the vanilla cake mix for a spice cake mix if you want!).
Pour the cake batter into a prepared 9×13″ baking dish and set it aside.
MAKE PUMPKIN PIE FILLING In a clean bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling, making sure to whisk it until it’s completely smooth.
POUR PUMPKIN PIE FILLING Carefully pour the pumpkin pie filling over the top of the UNBAKED cake mix in the 9×13″ baking pan.
BAKE THE CAKE The pumpkin pie filling will sink to the bottom of the cake mix when it’s baking and when you cut into it, the pumpkin pie will be on the bottom and the cake will be on top.
Pumpkin Cake Frosting
The frosting for this pumpkin cake is a mixture of instant vanilla pudding and thawed cool whip. We’re adding a little bit of pumpkin pie spice to the mix to give it a warm and inviting fall flavor.
WHISK TOGETHER Combine the vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice and milk in a bowl and whisk until smooth and thickened.
FOLD IN COOL WHIP Gently fold in the cool whip topping until the mixture is light and fluffy and you can see the spice is evenly incorporated throughout the frosting.
SPREAD EVENLY OVER CAKE Once the pumpkin magic cake has cooled you can spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cake.
Go ahead and slice the cake and marvel at the amazement of the three layers of deliciousness!
How To Store Pumpkin Cake
This cake should be stored covered, in the refrigerator once it has come to room temperature.
You can prepare this cake up to 3 days ahead of time.
I love this baking pan with the lid because it makes it super easy to bake and store for the holidays.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
Here are a few commonly asked questions or substitutions I get asked about…
COOL WHIP I know there are some parts of the world where Cool Whip is not a thing, or maybe you just want to avoid using it. Totally fine! You can swap Cool Whip for equal parts whipped cream.
VANILLA PUDDING MIX This recipe calls for the INSTANT vanilla pudding mix (no cook). You can swap in sugar free if desired, or even use the Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding mix and leave out the extra pumpkin spice.
BOXED CAKE MIX Any size cake mix will work as long as it’s meant for a 9×13″ pan. Try swapping the vanilla cake mix for chocolate or spice cake for a fun twist!
MY PUMPKIN PIE DIDN’T SINK Before you slice into your cake, you might notice that the top still looks like there is pumpkin pie filling there, but have no fear… give it a slice and you’ll see that the layer of pumpkin pie is in fact on the bottom.
More Pumpkin Cake Recipes
Craving that delicious pumpkin spice flavor? I’ve got you covered with these tasty recipes…
- Award Winning Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Crumb Cake
- Easy Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie – another fun layered dessert!
- Fluffy Pumpkin Sheet Cake
This dessert is a definite crowd pleaser. I can’t wait for you to give it a try!
Pumpkin Magic Cake
For the Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients required to make (eggs, water, oil)
For the Pumpkin Pie
For the Frosting
- 3.4 oz vanilla instant pudding mix, or substitute with sugar free version
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup cold milk
- 8 oz Cool Whip, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13" cake pan and set aside. Prepare box of cake mix according to package instructions, then pour into a prepared cake pan. DO NOT BAKE. Set aside.
For The Pumpkin Filling
- In another bowl whisk together the ingredients for the Pumpkin Pie (pumpkin, evaporated milk, heavy cream, eggs, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice), until smooth. Slowly pour the pumpkin pie mixture all over the cake mix.
- Carefully place cake into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center is no longer jiggly, and a toothpick inserted into cake mix comes out clean. NOTE: The cake might be slightly darker than normal, but still tastes great. Let cool to room temperature.
For The Frosting
- Place the vanilla pudding mix into a medium bowl, add the pumpkin pie spice and pour in the cold milk. Whisk until combined and starting to thicken. Gently fold in the Cool Whip until it's completely combined. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
- You can serve now, or chill the cake until ready to serve. Keep frosted cake stored with a cover in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- After you are done baking the cake, it may look like it did not settle into layers, but it has! Frost it, cut it, and marvel at it's awesomeness.
- Cake can be prepared up to 72 hours in advance. Cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve.