I’ve been dreaming about this Chocolate Pumpkin Magic Cake for a long time.
It’s very similar to my Pumpkin Magic Cake, but with a chocolate twist and a sprinkle of ginger snaps…
Basically heaven in a slice.
This triple layer dessert is actually crazy easy to make, and comes out in perfect layers each time!
The bottom layer is a delightful pumpkin pie, the middle is a rich chocolate cake and then it’s topped off with a vanilla pudding frosting that is to die for.
The secret to this magical cake is how you bake it.
First you pour in the chocolate cake batter and then the pumpkin pie batter over the top.
Since the pumpkin pie filling is heavier, it will sink to the bottom and the cake will rise to the top.
Now… I get asked a lot, “Why don’t you just put the pumpkin on the bottom to begin with?”
The pumpkin needs to bake longer in order to set, this little trick makes it so both the cake and pie come out perfect! 🙂
On the original pumpkin magic cake I gave the frosting a hint of pumpkin pie spice, but this time I left it out and opted to sprinkle some crushed gingersnap cookies on top.
Oh my! So so so so so good!
Check out those gorgeous layers!!
If you’re not a fan of pie crust, this is the best way to enjoy pumpkin pie!
Serious crowd pleaser, right here. Plus it’s one of those desserts that everyone will easily be drawn to because it looks so different than anything else they’ve ever seen.
Once they taste it… they’ll be hooked and asking how you did it!
Grab a fork and dig in to this chocolate delight!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Chocolate Pumpkin Magic Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 box of devil's food cake mix PLUS ingredients needed to make, eggs, water, oil
For the Pumpkin Pie
For the Frosting
- 1 vanilla instant pudding mix, 4 serving size box
- 1 cup milk, cold
- 8 oz Cool Whip, thawed
- 4 to 5 gingersnap cookies, crushed into crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare box of cake mix according to package instructions, then pour into a lightly greased 9"x13" cake pan. DO NOT BAKE. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the ingredients for the Pumpkin Pie (pumpkin, evaporated milk, cream, eggs, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice), until smooth. Slowly pour the pumpkin pie mixture all over the cake mix.
- Carefully place cake into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center is no longer jiggly, and a toothpick inserted into cake mix comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature.
For the Frosting:
- Place the vanilla pudding mix into a large bowl and pour in the cold milk. Whisk until combined and starting to thicken. Gently fold in the Cool Whip until it's completely combined. Spread on top of the cooled cake then sprinkle with the crushed gingersnap cookies.
- You can serve now, or chill the cake, and serve when chilled. Either way tastes great. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
You May Also Like: