Your family is going to fall in love with this nearly one skillet Basil Pesto Chicken with Alfredo Penne and Sun Dried Tomatoes. This dish is absolutely bursting with flavor and filled with a creamy and luscious alfredo sauce that will stick to your bones.
I know it’s only October, but I’m already making new goals for my little ol’ blog. My philosophy has always been that great meals do not need to require getting every dish in your kitchen dirty. Simple and easy meals are what this momma of four really loves, and I’m pretty sure it’s a love that we share, yes?
That’s why I’m making it a new goal of mine to get back to sharing simple dinners… on a weekly basis. Don’t kill me if I end up missing a week here or there, I’m only human. But I do promise to make it a priority to bring you more delicious and easy dinners like this one here.
YOU GUYS!! My family loooooved this one!
With the cooler weather creeping in, I’m starting to crave more carbs, and this alfredo penne was absolutely what the doctor ordered. My alfredo sauce is insanely creamy and super easy to make. It’s made from scratch with delicious whole ingredients like cream cheese, garlic, butter, cream and parmesan cheese.
I tossed in some sun dried tomatoes at the end to really brighten up the dish not only with color, but with some serious flavor. I puffy heart love sun dried tomatoes. If you’re not a fan, just leave them out… no big d.
I used a jarred basil pesto to top my pan seared chicken breast, but you can use this simple recipe for homemade basil pesto if you want, either way will work splendidly.
Total time on this meal is less than 20 minutes. Total pans used: 2! (one for the pasta and one for the chicken/alfredo sauce)
Grab a fork and dig in! Dinner never looked so good!
Basil Pesto Chicken with Alfredo Penne and Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked Penne pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 tsp prepared basil pesto
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/3 cup heavy cream, or half and half for a lighter version
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes, in oil, drained
- Boil the penne in a large pot of water, according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile heat the 2 tsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of the chicken breast halves with salt and pepper, then cook in the skillet for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate, cover each chicken breast with 1 tsp of prepared basil pesto, then cover the plate loosely with tin foil.
- In the same skillet add the butter and garlic and stir, to loosen any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Once the butter is melted add the cream cheese and whisk until the cream cheese is mostly melted. Reduce the heat to medium low and gradually add the cream to the skillet, while continuing to whisk.
- Once the mixture is smooth add in the parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and sun dried tomatoes. Whisk until melted and smooth again. Drain the cooked pasta and add it directly to the pan with the sauce. Stir to coat and then top with the basil pesto chicken breasts. Serve immediately and enjoy!