This super easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Recipe is a healthier way to make that classic Italian comfort food meal. Crispy and juicy seasoned chicken breasts topped with marinara sauce and melty mozzarella cheese!
If there’s one thing that holds me back from making a Chicken Parmesan recipe it’s the frying of chicken in oil on the stove top. It can be messy, add extra fat to the dish and it can be difficult to cook it without burning the chicken.
That’s why I’m absolutely OBSESSED with using my Air Fryer to make golden crispy fried chicken. It’s way less messy, healthier because you’re using air to fry the chicken instead of oil and the chicken comes out juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside every time!
Ingredients Needed For Chicken Parmesan Recipe
It’s actually crazy simple to make this delicious dinner recipe because you only need a handful of ingredients. Here’s the line up…
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs – if gluten free, use your favorite breadcrumb alternative
- Parmesan Cheese – freshly shredded is best
- Garlic Powder
- Marinara Sauce – use your favorite store bought brand or make homemade
- Mozzarella Cheese
Recipe For Chicken Parmesan
- Start by cutting your chicken breasts in half horizontally, creating two thinner chicken breast pieces.
- Dip the chicken in a beaten egg, then coat in the seasoned breadcrumb and parmesan cheese mixture.
- Place chicken in the air fryer basket and cook until golden and crispy.
- Top with marinara sauce and cheese and cook a few more minutes until the cheese is melted.
PRO TIP: To make sure your chicken comes out nice and juicy, cover the chicken with a sheet of parchment paper and use a heavy rolling pin to pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness (about 1/2 inch thick) before dipping in the egg.
How Long To Cook Chicken Parmesan
When using the air fryer, you’ll find that the chicken only takes a few minutes to cook through and results in a juicy chicken breast! This is especially true if you make sure the chicken is pounded to an even thickness. If you have a smaller air fryer basket, you might have to cook the chicken in batches.
- Start by preheating the air fryer for about 3 minutes (simply turn on the air fryer and let it cook without anything in the basket).
- Cook the chicken for 6 minutes then flip the chicken and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Finally top the chicken with the marinara sauce and cheese and cook another 3 minutes.
- Total time should be about 12 minutes.
What To Serve With Chicken Parmesan
Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian dish and is traditionally served with a side of freshly cooked pasta. Here are some more delicious side dish options that will complete this dinner…
- Pasta – Angel hair, Spaghetti, Linguine, etc
- 2 Ingredient Dough Garlic Breadsticks
- Baked Spaghetti Squash – for a low carb substitute to pasta
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Simple Caesar Salad
If you’re looking for a crispy coated Chicken Parmesan Recipe, then this is where it’s at! Your family will love this quick and easy Italian dinner for those busy weeknights.
More Italian Recipes To Try
- Easy Chicken Piccata Recipe
- Mashed Potato Gnocchi with Spinach Cream Sauce
- Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Crock Pot Bolognese Sauce
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat your air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes at 360 degrees.
- Meanwhile place your cut chicken breasts on a cutting board and cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Use a heavy rolling pin or meat mallet to pound the chicken to an even thickness. Season with salt and pepper on both sides to taste.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan and garlic powder in a shallow rimmed plate. In a separate bowl whisk the egg. Dip the chicken breasts in the egg mixture then coat evenly in the breadcrumb mixture. It's best to do this one at a time.
- Spritz each chicken breast with non-stick spray to give an even better golden crust, then place chicken in an even layer in air fryer basket. If your fryer is small, you might have to do this in batches.
- Cook at 360 degrees for 6 minutes, flip and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 tbsp of marinara sauce and 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese then continue cooking an additional 3 minutes. Serve with pasta if desired and enjoy!