Hearty seasoned ground beef “steaks” are simmered in a rich mushroom gravy and served over creamy mashed potatoes for an easy weeknight meal. All you need is 30 minutes to whip up this super easy Salisbury Steak Recipe.
Wow! If you’re looking for another easy recipe that utilizes ground beef, these Salisbury Steaks are here to save the day. My kids loved this quick diner that comes together in about 30 minutes. It’s great for busy weeknights, it’s super affordable and even my picky eater loved it. I’d call that a win!
What Is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury steak is an American dish that consists of ground beef and seasonings (similar to a meatloaf), that’s shaped into a steak-like patty then seared on a stove top and finished cooking in a brown mushroom gravy. It’s often times considered a poor man’s steak, but there’s nothing poor about the rich flavors in this recipe!
Salisbury Steak Ingredients:
- Ground Beef – I like to use a lean ground beef
- Breadcrumbs – Italian breadcrumbs add extra flavor
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasonings – onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Egg – to bind it together
Brown Mushroom Gravy Sauce Ingredients:
- Cremini or Baby Bella Mushrooms – buying pre-sliced will cut down on prep time
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Salisbury Steak
- Start by combining the ingredients for the steaks in a bowl and mixing together until combined.
- Shape the patties into an oval shaped patty, about 3/4″ thick.
- Sear the patties in a skillet over medium-high heat until they get a nice golden crust on the outside. The patties will not be cooked through at this time, but rather finished heating through in the gravy.
Brown Mushroom Gravy for Salisbury Steak
- To the same pan that you seared the steaks in, add in sliced onions and cook until softened and translucent. Add in the garlic and mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Toss in some butter and then sprinkle in the flour and cook until the mixture is thick, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the beef broth until the gravy is thick and creamy. Season with the Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
At this point you’ll add the steaks back into the pan and nestle them right into the gravy. Cover the pan with the lid and let the gravy simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the steaks are cooked through.
What Do You Serve With Salisbury Steaks
Traditionally, these Salisbury Steaks are best served on top of a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes. Here are a few more ideas to serve with…
- Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
- Egg Noodles
- Steamed Veggies – corn, peas, green beans, carrots, etc.
Bypass the freezer section and make this homemade Salisbury Steak recipe in under 30 minutes! You’re going to love it!
30 Minute Salisbury Steak Recipe
For the Steaks:
For the Steaks:
- Combine the ingredients for the steaks in a bowl and mix completely. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts, then shape the meat into oval size patties, about 3/4" thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in 1 tbsp oil in pan. Sear the meat patties on each side for about 3 minutes, until a nice golden brown crust is formed on each side. (NOTE - the patties will not be cooked through at this point). Remove from skillet and set aside.
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- In the same skillet, toss in the onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until browned, another 3 minutes. Finally stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Melt the 2 tbsp of butter into the onions and mushrooms then stir in the flour. Cook until the mixture is thick, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and gradually stir in the beef broth, until the mixture becomes smooth. Season with the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Return steak patties to the pan and nestle into the gravy. Cover and cook about 10 minutes, until the internal temperature of the steak patties reaches 160 degrees F.
- Serve salisbury steak warm over mashed potatoes with the mushroom gravy spooned over top. Enjoy!