Hearty seasoned ground beef “steaks” are simmered in a rich mushroom gravy and served over creamy mashed potatoes for an easy weeknight meal. All you need is 30 minutes to whip up this super easy Salisbury Steak Recipe.
Wow! If you’re looking for another easy recipe that utilizes ground beef, these Salisbury Steaks are here to save the day. My kids loved this quick diner that comes together in about 30 minutes. It’s great for busy weeknights, it’s super affordable and even my picky eater loved it. I’d call that a win!
What Is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury steak is an American dish that consists of ground beef and seasonings (similar to a meatloaf), that’s shaped into a steak-like patty then seared on a stove top and finished cooking in a brown mushroom gravy. It’s often times considered a poor man’s steak, but there’s nothing poor about the rich flavors in this recipe!
Salisbury Steak Ingredients:
- Ground Beef – I like to use a lean ground beef
- Breadcrumbs – Italian breadcrumbs add extra flavor
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasonings – onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Egg – to bind it together
Brown Mushroom Gravy Sauce Ingredients:
- Cremini or Baby Bella Mushrooms – buying pre-sliced will cut down on prep time
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Salisbury Steak
- Start by combining the ingredients for the steaks in a bowl and mixing together until combined.
- Shape the patties into an oval shaped patty, about 3/4″ thick.
- Sear the patties in a skillet over medium-high heat until they get a nice golden crust on the outside. The patties will not be cooked through at this time, but rather finished heating through in the gravy.
Brown Mushroom Gravy for Salisbury Steak
- To the same pan that you seared the steaks in, add in sliced onions and cook until softened and translucent. Add in the garlic and mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Toss in some butter and then sprinkle in the flour and cook until the mixture is thick, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the beef broth until the gravy is thick and creamy. Season with the Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
At this point you’ll add the steaks back into the pan and nestle them right into the gravy. Cover the pan with the lid and let the gravy simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the steaks are cooked through.
What Do You Serve With Salisbury Steaks
Traditionally, these Salisbury Steaks are best served on top of a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes. Here are a few more ideas to serve with…
- Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
- Egg Noodles
- Steamed Veggies – corn, peas, green beans, carrots, etc.
Bypass the freezer section and make this homemade Salisbury Steak recipe in under 30 minutes! You’re going to love it!
30 Minute Salisbury Steak Recipe
For the Steaks:
- 1 lb. ground beef, lean
- 1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 8 oz. brown mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
For the Steaks:
- Combine the ingredients for the steaks in a bowl and mix completely. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts, then shape the meat into oval size patties, about 3/4" thick.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in 1 tbsp oil in pan. Sear the meat patties on each side for about 3 minutes, until a nice golden brown crust is formed on each side. (NOTE - the patties will not be cooked through at this point). Remove from skillet and set aside.
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- In the same skillet, toss in the onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until browned, another 3 minutes. Finally stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Melt the 2 tbsp of butter into the onions and mushrooms then stir in the flour. Cook until the mixture is thick, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and gradually stir in the beef broth, until the mixture becomes smooth. Season with the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Return steak patties to the pan and nestle into the gravy. Cover and cook about 10 minutes, until the internal temperature of the steak patties reaches 160 degrees F.
- Serve salisbury steak warm over mashed potatoes with the mushroom gravy spooned over top. Enjoy!
Excellent beef and gravy, and made as posted. Made with mashed potatoes. The best!
This is comfort food at its finest, just delicious. This is definitely a keeper. Thank you Shawn.
The absolutely best salisbury steak recipe we have ever made!!!! This one is a keeper.
Michelle K Drozdibob
This is extremely close to my go -to recipe for Salisbury Steak. In fact, I just made it for dinner a few nights ago! Very tasty, very tender! I served it with baked potatoes (usually with homemade mashed potatoes) and since I used the oven for the baked potatoes, I put the salisbury steak in the oven, covered, to bake after they were seared. Just delish!!
OMG this was so good. I am ask to make this all the time now thank you for the recipe.
P.S. I love your recipes
Curious to know if you could make this ahead and freeze, then bake in the oven later.??
Made this dish with one change; I substituted Stubbs Hickory BBQ sauce for the Ketchup. This will be something that will be made again at this house.
I made this dish for my family tonight. The kids initially looked at it and said they don’t like mushrooms. Let me just say, they devoured it! Everything! They kept asking for more, and I had to tell them it was all gone. They asked me to make this again and to double the recipe…haha! I encourage you to make this dish. Delicious!!!
Haha! Love that! So glad you all enjoyed it!
Omg! This was so good!
I’m so thrilled you enjoyed it Stephanie!
This was so delicious and easy to prepare! The directions were well thought out and easy to follow. My steaks took closer to 15 minutes to come up to 165 degrees, but I may have made them slightly too thick. The mushroom gravy was SO good! Will definitely make again, thank you, Shawn! 🙂
Christine Kanyuck Bullars
This was an excellent dinner… my hubby is an old meat and potatoes kind of guy and he absolutely loved it! My plate was clean too!! We actually have dinner all made for tomorrow or the next day too! Recipe was easy easy easy to follow!!!
Am wondering about doubling it for a larger family, and finishing it up in the oven in a baking pan.., any ideas on that??
Very good. Made it tonight. Followed the recipe exactly. The family really liked it and I’ll make it again and soon. It did take me longer than 30 minutes. Think I’ll be following I. The future.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe Connie!
Great recipe, very simple full of flavor. I did leave out the mushroom’s and was great. Also made it using ground turkey but upped the seasonings and added some onions in the mix in place of onion powder.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Can I make the patties ahead of time and freeze them?
Yes, that should be just fine! I would defrost before cooking though.
Delicious. Gravy was thick and rich. Seasoning is great. Made no changes.
Can you tell me about the skillet you used? I noticed it in a few recipes and love it.
Just whipped up this recipe for dinner tonight!
It’s a keeper!
Yay!! So glad you enjoyed it Amy!
This recipe was a 10/10 absolutely delicious, my family loved it ❤️
It was really easy, fast and my family loved it.. will definitely put this in our rotation for meals..
First time I made Salisbury Steak. This was such a hit that I will have to make it a regular meal from now on! An absolutely wonderful tasting dish. Thank you!
Orange County Mom
Thank you for providing such simple but delicious recipes. I have always been afraid to cook but I am gaining some confidence because of you.
Aww that’s so awesome! I’m so glad you’re gaining confidence and rocking it in the kitchen!
Absolutely delicious and so easy! Not my first recipe I’ve made from this page, and definitely not my last!
So great to hear Daiza! Thank you for your comment!
I made this and it was so delicious!
So glad you enjoyed it Laura!
Made this last night for dinner. It was awesome!
So great to hear! Thanks for your feedback!
Is better when cubed meat is used, and slow cooked in the oven for a lot longer.
That sounds like a different recipe. This recipe uses ground beef. 🙂
Can I sub corn starch for the flour and if so is it a 1:1 ratio?
No, cornstarch requires you to make a slurry to thicken a sauce. When making a gravy it’s best to use a roux (flour and butter) as your base.
Carol M Rock
I have been looking for a good salisbury steak recipe for years and I finally found it. We served this over egg noodles and it was delicious! Will definitely make this again.
Yay! So glad you enjoyed it!
Is ground turkey a good substitute? No issue using the beef stock.
I think that should work fine here. A great way to lower the calories!
Made the salisbury steak everyone loved it and finally made my first gravy thanks also made beef stroganoff family loved that to thanks alot. Didn’t have to buy anything already had everything that was the best part. Stay safe
So glad you enjoyed the recipe Ruby!!
You are doing a fine job. Keep the recipes coming. Do you have any diabetic recipes ?
I have a category for Low Carb recipes that might be helpful! https://iwashyoudry.com/category/diet/low-carb/
I made this for dinner last night. So good! A new family favourite!
OMG What a hit My family love it said that it was the best Salisbury Steaks that they have ever had. Thank you for the recipe
So glad you and your family enjoyed it Richard! Thanks for your comment!
This dinner was delicious in every way. The steaks cooked up tender. The gravy had tons of flavor. And it was done quick! Will make again? Thank you!
Fantastic! So glad you enjoyed it!
My husband always always asks me to make this. The only thing I did different was dbl the sauce !!!!
Thank you and keep the recipes coming
That’s awesome! Thank you for your sweet comment Linda!
Can I use ground pork instead of beef?
Definitely! You’ll just want to make sure they’re cooked to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees F. 🙂
Thanks for a great recipe! It’s easy, quick and tasty. My darling wife said that these were the best Salisbury Steaks that I have ever made.
Yay! That’s great to hear Jim! So glad you guys enjoyed it!
Is there something else besides mushrooms you could use? I’m allergic to mushrooms.
You could leave the mushrooms out and just serve it as a brown gravy. 🙂
I haven’t has Salisbury steak in ages, this looks incredible.
It’s one of those classics that we all need to be reminded of. 🙂 Hope you enjoy it!
I love the recipes I see on here. Unfortunately, most would make me eat way too much! I would really like to see serving sizes and nutritional information.
Oh crap. Just saw it!!
I’m glad you saw it! Hope you enjoy the recipe!