This Creamy Beef Stroganoff Recipe is filled with tender strips of steak in a creamy and savory mushroom gravy sauce and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe:
- Start by cutting your steak thinly against the grain into strips, to ensure a tender bite.
- Season with salt and pepper, then quickly sear the steak strips in a hot skillet. Make sure you don’t over cook the steak!
- Sauté the onions and mushrooms in the same skillet with some butter until tender.
- Make a quick gravy in the skillet and then add the steak strips back in. Serve hot over hot noodles or mashed potatoes!
What Type of Beef to Use for Beef Stroganoff?
For this recipe I’m using a Boneless Beef Sirloin Steak. You can also use these other types of steaks, but just make sure you cut against the grain so the strips are nice and tender!
- Boneless Beef Sirloin Steak
- Ribeye Steak
- Beef Tenderloin Steak
- Sirloin Steak Tips
- Ground Beef – Yes, you can use my Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe using ground hamburger!
Can You Freeze Beef Stroganoff?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this recipe, which is great for making ahead and serving later. Just make sure you reheat slowly to not overcook the steak strips.
Tips and Recipe Variations:
- My #1 tip is to make sure you cut your steak AGAINST the grain. This will make sure you don’t end up with chewy beef strips.
- Pound your steak thin, then slice into thin strips. This will help again with the tenderness of your steak.
- If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, you can leave them out, but they are one of the classic ingredients in stroganoff.
- You can swap out the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt if desired.
What To Serve With Beef Stroganoff?
Once you’ve made your deliciously creamy Beef Stroganoff, what do you serve it with? Here are some great ideas:
- Classic Beef Stroganoff is served over cooked Egg Noodles.
- Try on top of mashed potatoes for a creamy variation.
- You can also serve this comfort dish on top of rice!
- Try mashed cauliflower for a low-carb variation.
Your family is going to LOVE this creamy and easy Beef Stroganoff recipe!
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe:
Creamy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs. Boneless beef sirloin steak, pounded thin and cut into strips
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, or extra beef broth
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Season beef sirloin steak strips with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over high heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Sear half of the strips for 30 seconds on each side, then promptly remove from the skillet. Repeat with the remaining olive oil and steak strips.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to the empty skillet and add in the onions. Cook for 1 minute, then add in the mushrooms. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic power, flour and paprika, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Splash in the dry sherry, scraping off any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, and cook until liquid is evaporated.
- Gradually stir in the beef broth, then whisk in the sour cream and stir until combined and sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the steak strips and any plate juices back to the skillet and remove from heat. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve over hot cooked egg noodles. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: