You know how much I love when a dinner comes together quickly? Well, this Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast meets all those expectations and then some!
I had a bunch of asparagus in my fridge and I was pondering on how I could use that asparagus in a fun and exciting way for dinner, then it hit me! Stuff it inside some chicken breast!
Not only is this chicken breast stuffed with asparagus, but it also has a slice of provolone cheese in there too!
I used large chicken breasts, then carefully sliced them in half, but not all the way through. This way I can fill the chicken, and then close it back up.
Season the inside with salt and pepper and little lemon zest. The lemon zest really brings the chicken so much bright flavor!
Close the chicken up, season the outside and then sear them on both sides in an oven safe skillet.
If you don’t have an oven safe skillet you can use a regular skillet and then transfer the chicken breast to a baking dish before finishing the cooking in the oven.
The quick sear will give the chicken a nice golden brown color, while also locking in those juices. When it’s roasted at a high temperature it’ll keep those juices inside and you’ll be left with a tender piece of meat!
Just make sure to cover the skillet or baking dish with tinfoil. You don’t want to burn those asparagus!
The whole dinner will be ready in less than 30 minutes!
While the chicken is finishing up in the oven you can cook some rice or make a salad. It’s such a time saving meal, you’ll be able to whip up this fancy-looking dish mid week!
Cheesy, tender, juicy and filled with gorgeous asparagus. You’re going to love this one!
Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Yield: 4 to 6 1x
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- 9 to 12 asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken breast in half, length-wise, leaving it intact on one side (creating a pocket to stuff). Season the inside of the chicken breast with salt and pepper and a pinch of lemon zest. Lay the provolone cheese and 3 to 4 stalks of asparagus in the center of each chicken breast and fold over, enclosing the filling.
- Season the outside of the chicken breast with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Heat a large, oven safe skillet (I use cast iron) over medium-high heat and add the 1 tbsp olive oil, swirling around to coat the bottom of the skillet. Cook the chicken top side down, for 3 to 5 minutes, until the chicken easily releases from the pan and is golden brown on top. Flip the chicken over and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes to sear the bottom side. Carefully cover the skillet with tinfoil and place in the preheated oven. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 155 degrees.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and let sit, covered, for about 5 minutes. The temperature of the chicken should rise to meet 160 degrees and will be super tender and juicy! Enjoy!
If you do not have an oven safe skillet, use a regular skillet and then transfer chicken breast to a baking dish and cover with foil before placing in oven.