This Creamy Chicken Asparagus Penne Pasta is a marvelous dinner recipe that’s filled to the brim with fresh veggies and tender pasta in a light and creamy sauce.
A couple weeks ago I was in Las Vegas at a conference, learning all the things, but really just wanting to eat all the things. One evening we went to Yard House, right by the Quad hotel on the strip and I ordered their Chicken Penne.
It was filled with tender chicken, fresh asparagus and was tossed in a deliciously creamy sauce.
I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it… so I made my own version!
I cut up pieces of chicken thighs for this recipe, but chicken breast would also work.
I tossed the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little paprika, then cooked them up in a hot skillet.
Next I took the chicken out of the skillet and tossed in loads of fresh cut veggies.
Asparagus was the main player, but sliced mushrooms, diced bell pepper and onion also made their way in there.
While the pasta was cooking, and after the chicken and veggies were already cooked, I made a quick creamy sauce in the same skillet.
I love making sauces in the same skillet that the food has been cooked in. It brings all the flavors together!
Once you add all the pasta, veggies and chicken back into the pan with the creamy sauce, just give it a few stirs to coat and get heated through.
You’re going to love this delicious dish!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Creamy Chicken Asparagus Penne Pasta
- 1 penne pasta, 12oz package (uncooked)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan, shredded
- parsley, chopped ( for garnish)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile season the diced chicken thighs with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook chicken in skillet, until browned and cooked through, transfer chicken to a plate to keep warm.
- To the same skillet add 1 tbsp olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the veggies and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender (about 3 to 5 minutes). Remove veggies from skillet to the plate with the chicken and keep warm.
- Add the last tbsp of olive oil to the skillet along with 4 tbsp of butter, over medium heat. Use a spoon or whisk to scrap up any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet (that's extra flavor!). Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and flour, whisk until mixture is thickened and smooth. Slowly pour in the milk and chicken broth, whisking continuously until the liquid is added. Finally add in the parmesan cheese and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add the chicken and veggies back to the pan as well as the cooked pasta. Stir to combine and coat evenly with sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THE IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!