This Creamy Chicken Asparagus Penne Pasta is a marvellous dinner recipe that’s filled to the brim with fresh veggies and tender pasta in a light and creamy sauce.
This easy dinner comes together so fast with tender chunks of chicken thighs (you can also use chicken breast), pasta and fresh seasonal veggies.
Creamy Chicken Asparagus Penne Pasta
When asparagus is in season I love to add it to all sorts of dishes. This recipe is great because you can easily swap out the asparagus for green beans or any other green veggies that is in season.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this simple pasta recipe. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Penne Pasta – or any other short pasta like bow tie, fussili, etc.
- Chicken Thighs – you can swap with chicken breast if desired.
- Asparagus – or any other seasonal green veggie
- Red Bell Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Parmesan Cheese
How To Make Chicken Penne Pasta
COOK PASTA Start by cooking the pasta in boiling water according to package instructions. Save some of the pasta water for making the creamy sauce later!
SAUTÉ CHICKEN Dice the chicken thighs, season and cook in a hot skillet until they are nice and golden brown. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
PREPARE VEGGIES Next toss in the chopped veggies into the hot skillet and cook until they are crisp tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. If you’re using a thicker, heartier green veggies, you may have to cook them a little longer.
Asparagus was the main player this time, but sliced mushrooms, diced bell pepper and onion also made their way in there.
MAKE THE SAUCE This sauce is made with a simple roux (butter and flour mixture) to create a silky smooth sauce. Make sure to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan for an extra boost of flavor.
To thin the sauce a little more, go ahead and use the reserved pasta water.
COMBINE EVERYTHING Once the sauce is ready, add the chicken, veggies and pasta back to the pan and toss it all to combine.
More Easy One Pan Pasta
We sure do love our pasta recipes in this house. If you like this one, you’re definitely going to love these simple pasta recipes too.
- BBQ Chicken Pasta Skillet
- Italian Beef and Pasta Dinner
- Creamy Beef and Shells
- Easy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
You’re going to love this delicious dish!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Creamy Chicken Asparagus Penne Pasta
- 12 oz penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ large red bell pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups parmesan, shredded
- parsley, chopped ( for garnish)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile season the diced chicken thighs with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook chicken in skillet, until browned and cooked through, transfer chicken to a plate to keep warm.
- To the same skillet add 1 tbsp olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the veggies and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender (about 3 to 5 minutes). Remove veggies from skillet to the plate with the chicken and keep warm.
- Add the last tbsp of olive oil to the skillet along with 4 tbsp of butter, over medium heat. Use a spoon or whisk to scrap up any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet (that's extra flavor!). Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and flour, whisk until mixture is thickened and smooth. Slowly pour in the milk and chicken broth, whisking continuously until the liquid is added. Finally add in the parmesan cheese and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add the chicken and veggies back to the pan as well as the cooked pasta. Stir to combine and coat evenly with sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THE IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!