These Spicy Italian Egg Rolls have all the flavors of your favorite sub sandwich jam packed into an egg roll wrapper, then deep fried until crispy. Serve these bad boys with a side of creamy Italian dressing for dipping and you’ll be in heaven!
I must have a thing for sandwiches. Not just your typical PB&J sandwich, but sandwiches filled with hearty meats, cheeses and all sorts of flavorful add ons. The classic Spicy Italian sandwich is one of my all time favorites, and I’ve taken those flavors and put them into a Crescent Ring, a hot Panini and even these cold Pinwheels.
I’ve made Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls and Reuben Egg Rolls, so it was only right (and about time) that I turn that Spicy Italian sandwich into a crispy egg roll too.
You guys, these egg rolls are seriously epic.
I stuffed them full of provolone cheese, spicy capicola, spicy pepperoni, a couple strips of roasted red bell peppers and a few banana pepper rings. Wrap the egg rolls up and seal them up by brushing the edges of the wrapper with lightly beaten egg.
Then you’ll deep fry them to get that wrapper nice and golden brown. The crispy outer edge and the hearty filling are a match made in heaven.
Of course you can’t have an egg roll without something to dip it in…
I paired this egg roll with a creamy Italian dressing that I found at the grocery store in the salad dressing aisle.
If you can’t find a creamy one, you can also use a zesty italian dressing to dip it into. But the creamy one is definitely my favorite.
My husband and I chowed these down for lunch the other day. I’m pretty sure you’re going to fall in love with these as much as we did.
Talk about the perfect appetizer to serve during the big game!! You can make these egg rolls along with all my other egg roll creations!
You’ve gotta give these ones a try first though!
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
Spicy Italian Egg Rolls
- Canola Oil, Fo frying (enough to fill pot at least 2 inches deep)
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 12 slices deli ham, thinly sliced
- 12 slices spicy pepperoni
- 12 slices hot capicola, found in the deli
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, drained and patted dry, thinly sliced
- 1 cup banana peppers, drained and patted dry (sliced)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup creamy Italian dressing, for serving
- Heat your oil in a fryer or heavy bottomed pot to 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile prepare the egg rolls by laying a slice of provolone in the center of the egg roll wrapper. Top with a thin slice of ham, pepperoni, capicola, a couple strips of roasted red bell pepper and a few banana pepper rings.
- Brush the outer edges of the wrapper with the lightly beaten egg then fold up the egg roll - Place the egg roll in front of you so it looks like a diamond, take the bottom corner and fold it over the filling, tucking it under and enclosing the filling. Take the sides of the wrapper and fold them on top of the filling as well. The egg roll should look like an open envelope at this point. Now just roll the egg roll up until the top is sealed up against the filling.
- Fill and roll all of the egg rolls before frying. Fry up to 3 egg rolls at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the egg rolls are golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve egg rolls with a side of creamy Italian dressing. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THE RECIPE TO SAVE IT!
Does anyone know if these can be done in the air fryer? Thanks!
Looks so good! I’m making these tonight– I’ll post feedback later!
Can these be made a day ahead and served room temperature?
Friv for school
These were amazing! I did a trial run before Super Bowl, and OMG, I could not stop eating them!! Thank you!