If you’re looking for a delicious side dish in a hurry, this Easy Vegetable Rice Pilaf is a definite winner!
I’m just starting to realize that I may have an obsession with cooking one skillet recipes.
Not every obsession is a bad thing right? I feel like this is a very good and very justified obsession.
Now I’m just saying obsession too much, aren’t I?
Let’s talk about this rice… OBSESSED!
Just kidding, but kinda. Ok, yeah, I am. It’s kind of nostalgic for me since I remember my mom making the boxed rice all the time for dinner when I was a kid. Only this time, I made it from scratch, and let me tell you… SO MUCH BETTER!
First of all- I can see all that’s going in there. Secondly- it makes way more and tastes superior.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m never opposed to using prepackaged items when I’m in a pinch.
But what is so awesome about this side of rice is that it cooks up just as fast as the boxed stuff!
I took my family’s favorite Mexican Rice recipe and switched it up slightly so I could have a tasty side to go with some pork, chicken or beef.
Just start by sautéing some diced onion, toss in the rice and let it toast slightly.
Stir in the seasonings and pour in some chicken broth. You can use water instead of chicken broth, but I love how much more flavor the chicken broth brings to the rice.
Cover the rice and let it cook for about 10 minutes, then stir in some frozen veggies. I chose peas and carrots, but you can toss in green beans, corn, broccoli or whatever floats your boat.
Then cover it back up and let it cook for 10 more minutes!
Once all the liquid is absorbed the rice should be tender and ready to enjoy!
I’m sticking with my word of the day when I say that I have a serious obsession with this rice.
My whole family loves it and I love how quick and easy it is too!
I wonder if there are any One Skillet Obsession support groups out there? 😉
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Easy Vegetable Rice Pilaf
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup white long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp basil leaves, dried (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup peas and carrots mix, frozen
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the rice and stir, until the rice is lightly toasted. Add the garlic salt, basil and turmeric to the skillet and stir until evenly combined.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the peas and carrots, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: