Leave dinner stress at the door with this Garlic and Herb Chicken Thigh Skillet. Just a handful of easy to find ingredients, a single skillet and 30 minutes are all that stand between you and dinnertime magic.
Hey there, I Wash You Dry readers! I’m Jessica from Coffee & Crayons and today I’m stopping in to share with you one of my families favorite chicken skillet dinners. Don’t worry, it’s super easy and, unlike many of my other favorite chicken recipes, does not require the use of a meat tenderizer (is it just me or is that the worst?)
Ok, so what does this fantastic family dish call for?
Herbs. All the herbs.
Fresh garlic. Seriously, fresh is best (just keep the breath mints nearby).
A skillet. I love my cast iron skillet.
Chicken THIGHS (more on that below).
Hungry people ready to eat!
Ok, so let’s chat for a moment about the chicken.
How To Make Garlic Herb Chicken Thigh Skillet
For this particular chicken skillet, if you want it to turn out nice and juicy (and totally addicting) then you MUST USE CHICKEN THIGHS…WITH THE SKIN! Sorry, I’m not really yelling. Ok, maybe a little. But it’s not AT you and I promise, you’ll thank me later.
Now, if you’ve been to my site, you’ll probably notice that this is a little out of character for me as I generally cook with skinless boneless chicken. However, there are certain special dishes (like this one!) that benefits from the added fats (aka FLAVOR!) that really help lock in all that amazing juiciness.
Besides, it makes my son and husband super happy.
If you absolutely insist on eating chicken breasts, that’s totally ok. It will still turn out amazing, just don’t be disappointed when the chicken doesn’t fall apart in your mouth.
If you’re wondering what to serve with this chicken my recommendation would be buttered mashed potatoes. Even better if those mashed potatoes have cheese in them. However, rice or lightly buttered egg noodles would also go perfectly. As for vegetables? Anything goes, my friends! In fact, go crazy with the veggies! Carrots, however, are particularly delicious.
And, just like that, dinner is ready and served and all your favorite people are full and happy.
You’re welcome 😉
If you liked this, you may also enjoy these other delicious Chicken Skillets-
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Garlic and Herb Chicken Thigh Skillet
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 red onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine, optional
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 orange, sliced
- rosemary, sage and thyme, for serving
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Add chicken to the skillet and cook over medium heat approximately 8-10 minutes per side or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F and skin is crispy. Transfer to a plate to rest.
- Return skillet to the stove and add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet. Add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, sage, thyme and rosemary and sauté for 1-2 minutes more.
- Turn heat to medium high and stir in the dry white wine. Allow the wine to cook off for one minute before adding the chicken broth and orange slices.
- Return chicken thighs to the skillet and simmer everything together for 4-5 minutes, or until chicken is heated through.
- Serve immediately with mashed potatoes, rice or buttered noodles.