This BBQ Roasted Chicken Thighs with Vegetables is an easy weeknight dinner that’s perfect for back to school season!
So sometimes I need things to be easy.
No brainer, ahead of the game, don’t need to think EASY. You know what I’m talking about? Like when dinner is made ahead of time and all you have to do is throw it into the oven? Very much like this dish – Barbecue Roasted Chicken Thighs with Vegetables!
One pot meals are absolutely wonderful. They tend to be very flavorful because all of the ingredients cook at the same time and all the flavors get absorbed into the dish. They are also easy…we like easy. They also tend be on the healthy side and well-balanced…a protein, vegetables and a starch.
In this case, I used chicken thighs, onions, carrots, celery, brussels sprouts and baby potatoes! There is no rhyme or reason why I chose these vegetables other than I like them and thought the colors would be pretty. You can use whatever veggies you would like. Some vegetables will soften more than other throughout the cooking process. For example, the carrots have a little bite to them still but the texture is actually nice whereas a bell pepper will most likely soften.
When my husband was taste testing, I asked him what he thought about the veggies and he said he liked that they weren’t super soft. Although he is crunch kind of guy…he’s one of those that likes crispy cookies versus soft and chewy. I don’t even know how we are married? Chewy soft cookies all the way…right?
Anyway, I also used bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs. They’re cheaper and add more flavor to the dish, but it makes the chicken a little more difficult to eat. You may want to purchase boneless skinless for simplicity, but it’s totally up to you! Like I said, the veggies all cooking together with the onion, garlic and barbecue sauce adds great flavor so I wouldn’t worry too much about the bone in chicken thighs.
You can throw this all together and place it in the fridge throughout the day before you want to cook it, making it so much easier than having to cook after work or when you’re tired at night.
It’s easy right?
Barbecue Roasted Chicken Thighs with Vegetables
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless/skinless or bone-in/skin-on both work
- 2 carrots, chopped into large pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced into medium pieces (any kind will do)
- 2 stalks celery , cut into large pieces
- 10-15 brussels sprouts, ends cut off
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8-10 baby potatoes , cut into medium pieces
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive oil
- Your favorite barbecue sauce, I use Sweet Baby Ray's
- Marinate chicken thighs in your favorite barbecue sauce for several hours, overnight preferred. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Once all the vegetables have been chopped, add half of the onions and all of the garlic to the bottom of a large baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Use your hands to make sure the garlic is evenly distributed.
- Next place chicken thighs over the onions and add the vegetables in between the thighs and on top, keeping the potatoes near the top so they brown nicely.
- Roast for 50 minutes - 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Add more barbecue sauce to the top of the chicken and enjoy!