These simple Air Fryer Au Gratin Potatoes are perfectly portioned potatoes that cook up hot and bubbly in just minutes!
I love to serve these cheesy potatoes with my Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast and a side of steamed green beans for a complete meal.
Air Fryer Au Gratin Potatoes
The beautiful thing about these potatoes is that you can quickly prepare them in the air fryer.
Since they are individually portioned out into 1 cup servings, they quickly cook and become bubbly throughout with a gorgeously browned top.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make these potatoes au gratin in the air fryer. As always, you can find the printable recipe card located below.
- Butter – salted
- All Purpose Flour
- Green Onions
- Milk – I used whole milk, but you can use 2%
- Mild Cheddar Cheese – shredded
- Frozen Shredded Potatoes – hash brown potatoes or frozen diced potatoes will work too
How To Make Au Gratin Potatoes In The Air Fryer
You’ll start off by making a simple roux with the butter and flour to create the creamy cheese sauce for the au gratin potatoes. Don’t get intimidated by this process, it’s actually quite simple.
MAKE A ROUX Start by melting the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once it’s melted whisk in the all purpose flour until it’s evenly incorporated and cook about 1 minute. Gradually pour in the milk, while continuing to whisk the mixture, until it’s all incorporated and smooth.
ADD CHEESE Stir in the garlic and green onions and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, then add in the cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until combined and smooth again.
STIR IN POTATOES Once the cheese sauce has been made, stir in the frozen potatoes.
DIVIDE INTO CUPS Coat the glass cups with non-stick spray and divide the potato mixture between the cups. Place the cups in the basket of your air fryer and cook for just 9 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes are bubbly throughout!
Which Air Fryer Is Best?
I get this question a lot whenever I post a new air fryer recipe. I personally like the Gourmia 7 quart Air Fryer.
You can usually find it at Costco for a good deal, but it’s also available on Amazon too.
For this particular recipe we’re using the basket style air fryer, which is what I prefer as opposed to the toaster oven style. I believe this recipe would work fine in either style.
Air Fryer Safe Containers
In order to be able to cook these potatoes in the air fryer, the cups used need to be air fryer safe.
You could use either glass or ceramic or even silicone containers in the air fryer. Please do not use plastic in the air fryer, as this will melt and cause a mess.
I found these fantastic 1 cup Pyrex glass containers that come with a lid for easy storage. They work perfectly for this recipe.
Make Ahead Au Gratin Potatoes
The best part about this recipe is that you can easily prepare these potatoes, pop a lid on them before cooking and place them in the fridge for up to 4 days!
In order to cook, just remove the lid, place it in your air fryer and cook!
This makes it great for small batch cooking, or when you want to eat some cheesy potatoes but don’t want to prepare a whole casserole!
More Cheesy Potato Recipes
I can’t wait for you to try out this simple cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes recipe in the air fryer. Here are some more delicious potato recipes you can try out too…
- Classic Scalloped Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
My whole family has thoroughly enjoyed these cheesy Air Fryer Au Gratin Potatoes and I can’t wait for you to give them a try too!
Air Fryer Au Gratin Potatoes
- 4 Glass Containers 1 cup each
- 2 tbsp butter, salted
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, whole or 2%
- ⅓ cup green onions, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (mild or sharp cheddar)
- 4 cups frozen hashbrown style potatoes
- Prepare 4, (1 cup) glass or ceramic cups by coating with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium size skillet melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in flour until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually pour in milk and continue whisking until added and smooth.
- Stir in green onions, garlic, salt and pepper and cook about 1 minute, until fragrant and bubbly throughout. Add cheese and stir until combined.
- Add frozen potatoes to the cheese sauce and stir to coat evenly. Divid potato mixture between prepared cups and place cups in air fryer basket. Cook at 375 degrees F. for 9 to 10 minutes, until bubbly throughout and top is lightly browned.
- Carefully remove cups with tongs or a hot pad (the containers will be hot). Serve hot and enjoy!
Would this recipe work , cooking in the oven