Deli Style Broccoli Cheddar Salad is filled with fresh broccoli and other mix-in’s then tossed in a creamy dressing.
My husband is a huge fan of broccoli salad. In fact, when we lived in Canada, there was a deli in our small town that served sandwiches with your choice of a side dish. He would always choose the broccoli salad because it had shredded cheddar cheese in it.
I have another recipe on blog for a broccoli salad, that is similar to this one, but it doesn’t have the cheese.
So I had to make a copycat recipe of the one in that deli so my husband would be happy. He LOVED this one!
I loved this salad too. Broccoli salad is perfect for taking to any pot luck or bbq. It’s super quick to whip up, and always seems to be one of the more popular side dishes.
Here are some more mix-in ideas for this Deli Style Broccoli Cheddar Salad:
- Mix in 2 cups fresh broccoli with 2 cups broccoli slaw instead of all broccoli
- Try using chopped pecans or roasted cashews instead of sunflower seeds
- Use golden raisins instead of dried cranberries
- Cube your cheese rather than shred it
- Add crispy chopped bacon to the salad
One of my biggest tricks with this broccoli salad has to do with those dried cranberries.
Rather than just toss them in (which you totally could), I soak them in hot water for about 10 minutes, then I drain them and add them in the salad. This brings a little more life back to the dried fruit and makes them more flavorful and juicy.
You’re definitely going to want to give this salad a try!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Deli Style Broccoli Cheddar Salad
- 1 cup dried cranberries, craisins
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped bite size pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 large purple onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, roasted
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, you can also use white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Combine the 1 cup of dried cranberries with 2 cups of hot water (I just use the hot water from my sink). Let the cranberries sit for 10 minutes so they begin to plump back up. Drain and add to a large bowl.
- Add the broccoli, cheese, onion and sunflower seeds to the large bowl and toss to combine.
For the dressing:
- Whisk together the mayo, apple cider vinegar and sugar until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Keep in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!