This Instant Pot Orange Chicken and Rice is filled with tender chicken pieces in a fragrant orange sauce paired with fluffy white rice all made in about 30 minutes!
I’m a huge fan of Orange Chicken. In fact, my whole family agrees that it’s one of our favorite weeknight dinners. I usually make my fried Orange Chicken with a pot of white rice and some broccoli on the side, but I wanted to give it a try in my instant pot… you guys, I was BLOWN AWAY!
The chicken is so tender and the fragrant sauce is sweet and sticky, but the best part is that the rice is cooked at the same time in the Instant Pot!
I started by using the sauté function of the instant pot to brown some chicken thighs. This is important for two reasons…
Why Use the Sauté Function on the Instant Pot:
- Searing the chicken before cooking will help the chicken pieces keep their shape after being pressurized.
- By partially cooking the chicken before adding the rice, it’ll allow the chicken to cook completely during the same time it takes to cook the rice.
Whisk up the sauce ingredients and then add those to the instant pot.
This is enough liquid to adequately let the pot come to pressure and perfectly season the chicken.
How To Make Instant Pot Rice:
- Make sure you rinse the rice very well! The water should run clear and not be cloudy. This will remove excess starches and result in fluffy rice.
- Use a ratio of 1:1 with white rice. (1 cup rice to 1 cup water).
- Cook the rice inside an oven safe dish on a trivet inside the instant pot.
- Do not fill the dish more than halfway with rice and water, as the rice will expand when cooking.
- This recipe will only work with white rice as brown rice takes longer to cook, which would be too long for the chicken to cook at the same time.
- All you need is 4 minutes of High pressure with 10 minutes of Natural Release.
The results are super fluffy and perfectly cooked white rice!
Once you pull the rice out, turn the Instant Pot back to the sauté function and stir in a cornstarch and water slurry. This will thicken up the sauce and make it nice and glossy to coat the chicken.
The whole meal is ready in less than 30 minutes and the clean up is a breeze. It’s really a win-win!
Instant Pot Orange Chicken and Rice
The chicken is super tender and the sauce is finger-licking good. If you wanted to kick up the heat a little, try adding a pinch of red pepper flakes and a dash of Sriracha sauce. I usually add that to mine after it’s cooked because some of my kids don’t like spicy food.
You’re going to love this all in one dinner!Print
Instant Pot Orange Chicken and Rice
This Instant Pot Orange Chicken and Rice is a complete meal made in one pot! Tender chicken with fluffy rice, what more could you ask for?
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: serves 4 to 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp minced ginger)
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp corn starch
For the Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups white rice (I use Jasmine), rinsed and drained until water runs clear
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Sliced green onions for garnish, optional
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté function and increase to high heat. Add the olive oil and sesame oil to the inner pot to heat up. Season the chicken thighs with salt, garlic powder and ginger. Add the chicken to the inner pot once hot and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, browning on all sides. Turn the Instant Pot to the off position.
- Meanwhile whisk together the ingredients for the sauce: Orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, dry sherry and chicken broth. Pour over the chicken and stir to coat.
- Place a trivet over the chicken in the instant pot. Combine the rinsed rice and 1 1/2 cups water in an oven safe dish (make sure it is only half way filled as the rice will expand). Place the rice filled dish on top of the trivet and close the Instant Pot lid, making sure the vent on top is in the sealed position.
- Press MANUAL and HIGH PRESSURE for 4 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes after cooking (do not release pressure immediately after cooking/do not turn off Instant Pot). Once 10 minutes is up, finish with a quick release of pressure.
- Carefully remove the rice and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile whisk together the 2 tbsp water with 2 tbsp cornstarch and turn Instant Pot to Sauté mode again. Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook until sauce thickens (about 3 to 4 minutes). Serve chicken over rice and garnish with sliced green onions if desired. Enjoy!
If you want to make the sauce spicy, add a pinch of red pepper flakes and a tablespoon of Sriracha sauce to the sauce mixture.
Keywords: Instant Pot, orange, chicken, rice
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: