This Crock Pot Pasta Bolognese Sauce Recipe is slowly simmered for a deep and rich flavor, filled with ground beef, sausage and mushrooms.
CrockPot Bolognese Sauce Recipe:
- Start by browning ground beef and Italian Sausage in a skillet with some on ion and garlic.
- Add in some diced mushrooms and continue cooking until the meat mixture is cooked through.
- Transfer the meat mixture to your slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
What Is The Difference Between Bolognese Sauce and Spaghetti Sauce?
Technically speaking, Bolognese Sauce is simmered with a white wine and finished with either a heavy cream or half and half to give it an extra rich flavor. Spaghetti Sauce has very similar ingredients, but typically calls for a red wine (or no wine) and no cream is added at the end.
Bolognese Sauce Recipe Variations:
It’s super easy to customize this recipe to your taste, and to make it a little healthier too!
- Try swapping out the Italian Sausage with more ground beef, or using turkey sausage instead!
- Swap out the heavy cream for evaporated milk to save on calories.
- If you’re not a fan of mushrooms you can easily leave them out.
- Bulk the recipe up by adding in diced celery and carrots with the onion.
What Type of Pasta Goes with Bolognese Sauce?
This thick and hearty Bolognese Sauce pairs perfectly with a wider noodle so it can get coated in the pasta sauce.
- In this recipe I used pappardelle noodles, which is a wide egg noodle.
- You can also use a fettuccine noodle or linguine.
- Spaghetti noodles can work in a pinch, but they won’t hold as much of the pasta sauce.
You’re going to love the rich and hearty flavor of this super simple Italian sauce!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Crock Pot Pasta Bolognese Sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 hot sausage links, removed from casings
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 oz package button mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
- In a large skillet combine ground beef, sausage, onion, and garlic.
- Brown for 2 minutes and add mushrooms. Continue stirring and browning for an additional 5 minutes.
- Drain any fat from the skillet and transfer meat mixture to crock pot.
- Add the diced tomato, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Taste the sauce and add more salt if desired.
- Add the bay leaves and stir.
- Set to low for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving remove bay leaves and stir in the heavy cream OR evaporated milk. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: