This Quick and Easy Italian Meat Sauce is a homemade pasta sauce that’s rich and thick, while taking less than 20 minutes to make!
I can’t believe I have never shared my go-to pasta sauce with you guys!
I actually had some of the youth girls from my church over last month to teach them three easy pasta sauces to make, and my Italian Meat Sauce was one of them.
Then I realized that, even though I make this at least twice a month, I haven’t shared it with my wonderful blog readers yet!!
Well shame on me!
Once you taste this super easy recipe, you’ll be hooked!
It’s basically a condensed version of my grandma’s pasta sauce that takes 8 hours to cook, boiled down to just 20 minutes!
How do I do it? Well, I use lots of flavorful ingredients to boost the flavor of the sauce without adding extra time!
A classic Italian meat sauce will simmer for hours to blend all the flavors together and thicken the sauce.
I don’t add a lot of liquid, so there is minimal simmering. Items like crushed tomatoes with basil and Italian diced tomatoes add flavor and richness without all the fuss.
Go for an Italian ground sausage rather than ground beef, which will add more spice and flavor too. I usually always go with fresh onions and garlic, but when I’m in a pinch and don’t have any on hand, I used dried too.
If you want it with a little kick of spice, toss in a pinch of red pepper flakes too.
Once you try this super simple recipe on top of a bed of hot pasta you’ll be hooked for life!
Quick and Easy Italian Meat Sauce
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, ground
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 28oz can tomatoes, crushed with basil
- 1 14oz can tomatoes with italian herbs, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown the Italian sausage, onion and garlic in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, italian herbs and sugar. Bring the mixture to a light boil and reduce heat to a simmer. The longer you let the mixture simmer the more flavorful it will become. Simmer at least 10 minutes. Serve over freshly cooked pasta or in lasagna. Enjoy!