This Quick and Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce is filled with ground meats, tomatoes and herbs that’s rich and thick, all while taking less than 20 minutes to make!
Skip the canned stuff, cause this ultra flavorful pasta sauce will blow you away.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
I’ve been making this simple spaghetti sauce recipe for decades and it NEVER FAILS ME.
The trick is to pack as much compound flavors in it as possible to achieve maximum richness in a short amount of time.
Ingredients for Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Meat
If you’re looking for a basic meat-free sauce, be sure to check out my homemade Marinara Sauce recipe. It’s incredible. If you’re a carnivore like me, proceed with this scrumptious recipe and be prepared to fall in love.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this quick and easy Spaghetti Sauce. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the recipe card below…
- Italian Sausage – try a spicy sausage for even more flavor
- Crushed Tomatoes – look for the kind with basil added
- Diced Tomatoes – with Italian herbs
- Tomato Paste
- Italian Seasoning – try my homemade blend!
- Sugar – just a little to cut the acidity of the tomatoes
How To Make Spaghetti Sauce
Traditionally, spaghetti sauce with meat (also called ragu) is simmered for HOURS in a big pan to create a deep and rich flavor. Sometimes you just don’t have the time to make that happen. Luckily, I’ve figured out a quick work-around to still creating that deep flavor, but in a fraction of the time.
HOW TO MAXIMIZE FLAVOR QUICKLY…
- Instead of plain ground beef, we’re upgrading to a ground Italian sausage.
- Swap out plain crushed tomatoes for crushed tomatoes with basil added.
- Used canned diced tomatoes with Italian herbs in place of fresh tomatoes.
- Plump it up with extra garlic and onion for an even more flavorful punch.
PRO TIP: If you don’t have access to ground Italian sausage, use ground beef but toss in 1/2 tsp of crushed fennel seeds and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
How To Thicken Spaghetti Sauce?
This recipe I’m sharing with you today will create a nice and thick sauce, NOT a watery spaghetti sauce.
In my opinion, spaghetti sauce should be thick so it sticks to the pasta and doesn’t soak into your bread on the side. You know what I’m talking about.
However, if you’re here because you’ve followed someone else’s recipe and found your sauce is much too watery… the answer is to let the sauce simmer with the lid off until the liquid is reduced.
Most recipes call for adding loads of water, which is totally fine if you plan to let your sauce simmer for hours on end. This is a QUICK recipe, so we aren’t using a lot of water.
Tomato paste is also added to my sauce which gives it that nice tomato flavor without adding too much excess liquid.
How To Serve Spaghetti Sauce with Meat
It may seem like a no-brainer, but serve this easy spaghetti sauce recipe with freshly cooked pasta, tortellini, or even use as a base for my delicious lasagna recipe!
If you’re feeling real adventurous, try making my Homemade Alfredo Sauce and serve these two sauces side by side for an epic treat.
What To Serve With Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 Ingredient Dough Garlic Bread
- Classic Meatballs
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Bites
- Mashed Potato Gnocchi
Can I Make Pasta Sauce Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make spaghetti sauce ahead of time. In fact, I love to make a double or even triple batch then freeze the leftovers for meal prep in the future.
This spaghetti sauce recipe can be made up to 3 to 5 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator.
If freezing, let cool completely, store in a zip-close bag and freeze laying down flat. (This makes it easier to store and defrosts quicker). Freeze for up to 2 months!
More Italian Sauces To Try:
I have a wealth of Italian Sauces for you to dive deep in to. Here are a few of my favorites that I think you’ll really enjoy.
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- Homemade Marinara Sauce (meat free)
- Creamy Alfredo Sauce
- Fresh Basil Pesto Sauce
You’re going to have dinner on the table in a breeze with this quick and easy Spaghetti Sauce recipe!
I can’t wait for you to give it a try!
Quick and Easy Spaghetti Sauce
- Brown the Italian sausage, onion and garlic in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, italian herbs and sugar. Bring the mixture to a light boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- The longer you let the mixture simmer the more flavorful it will become. Simmer at least 10 minutes. Serve over freshly cooked pasta or in lasagna. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW