This Creamy Alfredo Sauce Recipe is just a few basic ingredients but makes the most silky smooth and delicious pasta topping!
Make it a complete meal by topping it with my juicy Chicken Alfredo recipe.
I’ve taught a few cooking classes to youth on how to make a Quick Italian Meat Sauce as well as this Classic Alfredo Sauce, and each time their minds are blown with how easy it is to actually make something so delicious and restaurant quality.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this Classic Alfredo Sauce recipe. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Butter – use a good quality, salted butter. NO MARGARINE please.
- Garlic – fresh garlic is best, but feel free to substitute with garlic powder if desired.
- Cream Cheese – again, use a good quality brand. This will ensure a smooth sauce.
- Heavy Cream – you’ll want to use at least a 33% fat content for a silky texture.
- Parmesan Cheese – you’ll get the BEST results by using freshly shredded parmesan rather than store bought shredded.
- Salt and Pepper – season to taste.
How To Make Creamy Alfredo Sauce
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
WHISK IN CREAM CHEESE
Add in the cream cheese and whisk gently until cream cheese is mostly melted into butter. The mixture will look a little clumpy, like cottage cheese, this is normal!
STIR IN HEAVY CREAM
Gradually pour in the heavy cream, while whisking, until mixture becomes smooth. Add in the shredded parmesan cheese and stir until melted through. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Can You Make Alfredo Sauce Without Cream?
The short answer is YES. — But it’s not recommended.
One of the key components to making a thick and creamy Alfredo sauce is the cream. That being said, I think you could get away with using half and half or if in a real pinch, whole milk. Keep in mind that the less fat content in the dairy the thinner and less appealing the Alfredo Sauce will be.
How To Reheat Alfredo Sauce
Once your sauce has been made you can store it in an air tight container in the fridge. When you’re ready to reheat it, you’ll want to scoop the sauce (which will be really thick at this point) into a saucepan over medium-low heat. The butter will melt quicker than the cream and cheese, so make sure you occasionally whisk the sauce until it comes together again.
PRO TIP: Sometimes if I want to stretch the sauce a little more I’ll add a little bit of milk when reheating to help thin it out just a bit.
Easy Tips and FAQ:
- What do I serve Alfredo Sauce with? This thick and creamy sauce is perfect over a wider pasta noodle like fettuccini or linguine.
- Why is my Alfredo Sauce clumpy/gritty? If your sauce is not silky smooth it could be because your ingredients don’t have as high of fat content to them. Make sure you’re using quality ingredients and whisking until smooth.
- Can I make Alfredo Sauce in advance? Yes, you definitely can make this sauce in advance and just reheat on the stove top when ready to serve.
- How can I serve this Alfredo Sauce to a crowd? When I serve this sauce to a crowd I’ll make a triple batch (use the 3x button in the recipe card) and pour the sauce into a crock pot. Keep the sauce on low heat while serving and stir occasionally so it doesn’t seize up on you.
More Italian Dinner Favorites:
- Quick Italian Meat Sauce
- Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
- Spinach Artichoke Fettuccini Alfredo
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe:
Creamy Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 8 oz. shredded parmesan
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once melted add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the cream cheese and whisk gently until cream cheese is mostly melted into butter. The mixture will look a little clumpy, like cottage cheese, this is normal!
- Gradually pour in the heavy cream, while whisking, until mixture becomes smooth. Add in the shredded parmesan cheese and stir until melted through. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: