Honey BBQ Cowboy Burgers are thick and juicy burgers topped with cheese, honey bbq sauce and thick cut onion rings for a smokey and sweet burger that’s sure to rock your tastebuds.
The weather is warming up, the flowers are blooming and the grass is green and ready for lawn games. We’re full on into BBQ season!
One of my favorite ways to break in the grill is with some thick and juicy hamburgers. Sure, you can use frozen hamburger patties for this recipe, but it’s almost just as easy to whip up your own fresh patties with my super simple recipe.
My favorite trick is to add a little bit of Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ Sauce right into the hamburger meat. It gives a little extra hint of smoky bbq flavor and helps to keep the patties nice and juicy.
If you’ve ever made your own hamburger patties before, you might be familiar with the patties turning into balls of meat? To avoid a giant dome in the middle of your burger, simply use your thumb or two fingers to gently press into the uncooked patties, creating a small indention in the center.
This will keep your hamburger patties flat when cooked!
Add a slice of cheddar right before you take it off the grill and all that’s left to do is assemble!
You definitely don’t want to skimp on the Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ sauce. After all, “The Sauce is the Boss!” 😉
I seriously keep at least two bottles in my pantry during BBQ season. It’s a must.
You can check out more recipes featuring Sweet Baby Ray’s HERE.
Top the burgers with some crispy, thick cut onion rings and you’re all set!
Just watch these burgers disappear!
Here are some more tasty ways to top your burger:
- Add a couple slices of thick cut bacon on top
- Make it a California Cowboy burger by adding a few slices of avocado
- Skip the crispy onion rings and use caramelized onions instead
- Turn up the heat by using a slice of pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar
- Go bun-less and wrap your Cowboy Burger in a leaf of lettuce
Either way you make it, don’t skip that sweet and tangy bbq sauce!
Honey BBQ Cowboy Burgers
For the Toppings:
- 8 hamburger buns
- 16 frozen onion rings, cooked according to package instructions
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce
- Sliced Tomato
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, brush and lightly oil grates.
- Combine the ground beef, 2 tbsp Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce, mayo, 1 tbsp seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper in a large bowl. Mix until fully combined, then shape into 8 round patties.
- Use your thumb or finger to gently press an indention in the center of each patty. Season the burgers with the remaining seasoned salt. Grill on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes, until desired temperature is reached. Just before removing from grill, add the cheddar cheese on top of each patty.
Assembling the burgers:
- Top each hamburger bun with lettuce, tomato, the cheeseburger, a tablespoon (or two) of the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, two crispy onion rings and top with the bun. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Sweet Baby Ray’s. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!!