This comforting Cottage Pie Recipe is filled with a ground beef in a savory beef and onion gravy, plenty of veggies and topped with fluffy and cheesy mashed potatoes.
If you’re a meat and potatoes kind of person, this meal is definitely for you.
I’ve taken my favorite kid’s favorite Mini Shepherd’s Pot Pies and turned it into a family size meal that’s simple and easy to make any night of the week.
What Is Cottage Pie?
If you’re not familiar with the term “Cottage Pie,” you might be more familiar with the term “Shepherd’s Pie.” A Shepherd’s Pie recipe is made with ground lamb as the protein. Hence, shepherds watching over their sheep.
A Cottage Pie Recipe is made with ground beef in place of ground lamb. Otherwise, they’re pretty much the same recipe.
This crust-less meal is full of tender ground beef in a simple brown gravy that’s enhanced with onion soup mix, then filled with frozen veggies. Top it all off with fluffy mashed potatoes and plenty of cheese, then finish baking in the oven.
It’s pure comfort food in each and every bite.
Ingredients in Cottage Pie
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this simple Cottage Pie Recipe. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
- Ground Beef – or use lamb for a traditional Shepherd’s Pie
- Onion Soup Mix
- All Purpose Flour
- Beef Broth – low sodium
- Frozen Vegetable Blend – a mix of carrots, peas, corn and green beans is our favorite.
- Russet Potatoes
- Garlic Powder
- Cheese – optional, but highly recommended
How To Make Cottage Pie
In order to make this recipe the easiest, you’ll want to use a pan that is oven safe. A sturdy cast iron skillet is always my go to when it comes to dinners like these.
BROWN THE HAMBURGER Start by browning the ground beef in a skillet until it’s no longer pink. Drain any fat from the pan and toss in the onion soup mix and flour and stir until the mixture is thickened and fragrant.
MAKE THE GRAVY Gradually add in the beef broth, while still mixing. Keep mixing until the mixture is simmering and thickened slightly. Add in the veggies and cook until heated through
MAKE MASHED POTATOES Use my fluffy mashed potato recipe to whip up some delicious taters. To keep the recipe quick and easy, you can also use leftover mashed potatoes or even store bought!
TOP WITH MASHED POTATOES AND CHEESE Once your potatoes are ready you’ll carefully add it in dollops all over the top of your ground beef and spread it out into an even layer. Top with shredded cheese.
BAKE UNTIL BUBBLY All that’s left to do is pop the skillet into the oven and finish baking until the mixture is bubbly throughout and the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley when ready.
How To Prepare Ahead of Time
One of the greatest things about this Cottage Pie recipe is that it’s great for meal prepping! Transfer the ground beef mixture to a casserole dish (I love these disposable ones), and top with potatoes and cheese. Let it cool completely before covering.
Place in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months!
It’s a great meal to make and bring to someone who is sick or just had a baby. They just pop it in the oven and bake.
PRO TIP: Double up the recipe and store half in the freezer for a rainy day when you don’t want to have to make dinner.
Tips and Variations
As with most recipes, you can customize it to make it fit your needs. Here are some tips and variations for making Cottage Pie.
- Swap in ground lamb for the ground beef to make it a classic Shepherd’s Pie.
- You can leave off the shredded cheese if desired.
- Use your favorite frozen vegetable blend. If using fresh vegetables, make sure they’re simmered longer to allow time for them to soften.
- Add a teaspoon of minced fresh garlic to the ground beef mixture to amp up the flavors!
Similar Recipes to Shepherd’s Pie
If you love the comforting flavors of this Classic Cottage Pie recipe, you’re really going to love these other ground beef recipes.
I can’t wait for you to give this Ground Beef Cottage Pie Recipe a try!
Ground Beef Cottage Pie Recipe
For the Potatoes
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
For the Cottage Pie
- 1 lb. ground beef, lean
- 2 oz. onion soup mix, (two 1oz packages)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1½ cups beef broth, low sodium
- 10 oz frozen vegetables, blend of carrots, corn, peas and green beans
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
For The Potatoes
- Add the chopped potatoes to a pot of boiling water and cook until for tender. Drain and place back in the hot pot. Pour in the milk, butter, salt and garlic powder and mash until potatoes are light and fluffy. Set aside.
For The Cottage Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If using a separate dish for the oven, spray it lightly with non-stick spray and set aside. *A 9x9" casserole dish should work.
- Heat at least a 10" oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and brown ground beef, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. (Do not drain fat)**
- Sprinkle in the onion soup mix and flour and stir until the mix and flour are absorbed into the ground beef and fragrant. Gradually whisk in the beef broth, and simmer until thickened.
- Add in the vegetables and cook until heated through.
- If using a separate dish for the oven, now is the time to transfer the beef mixture to it. Otherwise, carefully top the ground beef mixture with the mashed potatoes and spread out into an even layer. Top with the cheese and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until bubbly throughout.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: