This comforting Turkey Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie is super quick 30 minute dinner that everyone will love!
It’s time to get real with you guys.
The holidays are finally here which means there’s candy and fudge, brownies and cookies, and all the hot chocolate you can drink. I’m trying super hard to keep things in moderation and not let myself go overboard, but holy cow… It’s SO HARD!
I just signed up with Weight Watchers over the weekend (for the 5th time). Pray for me.
I love food. I love making food, taking pictures of food, talking about food and of course the eating part is nice. 😉
I have a few pounds I would like to lose, and I’m hoping that by starting WW now, I can avoid some of the extra holiday weight gain.
Also, this Turkey Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie is a completely comforting meal with only 8 points per serving, which means I can enjoy something completely delicious without any guilt!
For those of you that aren’t familiar with Weight Watchers, each food is given a point value based on it’s nutritional values, then you’re allowed a certain amount of those points per day.
Don’t worry, I’m not going to make everything on my site super healthy from this point on, but I’ll include WW points on the recipe whenever I can. I figure if I am open with this whole process, then maybe I’ll have more accountability. I won’t slip up so often, and by next year I’ll be feeling back to my normal self again!
So let’s talk about this recipe!
I used some ground turkey and mushrooms as the base of my shepherd’s pie, which made it extra hearty. I bulked it up even more with extra veggies like onions, carrots and peas.
The turkey and mushroom mixture is mixed in a light gravy then poured into a casserole dish.
Top it off with some light and fluffy mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of paprika for some added color!
All that’s left to do is broil it, till it’s a nice golden brown on top and bubbly throughout.
This whole meal comes together in less than 30 minutes! How awesome is that?!
This is one comfort dish that your whole family will love this winter!
Turkey Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup peas and carrots, frozen
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of lightly salted water until fork tender. Drain and add sour cream, egg yolk, half and half and salt and pepper to taste. Mash until desired consistency.
- Meanwhile brown the ground turkey and onions in a large skillet, breaking up until crumbled (about 3 minutes). Add mushrooms to skillet and cook an additional 5 minutes, until turkey is cooked through and mushrooms are softened.
- In a separate small skillet heat the 2 tbsp butter over medium heat until melted. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Gradually pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, whisking until smooth and slightly thickened. Pour this gravy mixture into the turkey and mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the frozen peas and carrots to the skillet and stir to combine, cooking until heated through. Transfer mixture to a 2 quart casserole dish, spread into an even layer.
- Top with the mashed potatoes, spreading into an even layer. Sprinkle the top with the sweet paprika and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN RECIPE TO SAVE IT!