Chipotle Tamale Pie
- 3/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 15 oz pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 to 2 chipotle chiles en adabo sauce, seeded and minced), plus 1 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 8.5 oz cornbread mix
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and grease an 8 inch baking dish with the butter non-stick spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the ground turkey, onions, green peppers, and garlic and cook until the turkey is no longer pink and it’s cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain off any excess fat and sprinkle the meat with the cumin.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, chiles and adobo sauce to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer till slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in the cheese and cilantro.
- Spread the turkey mixture in the baking dish and press down to a compact layer.
- Prepare the cornbread mix according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spread the cornbread batter over the turkey mixture and bake until the cornbread is golden-brown, 20-25 minutes. Let the tamale pie stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares to serve. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW