You’re not going to believe how quick this delicious dinner comes together! If you’ve never heard of carbonara, let me tell you all about it!
Pesto Spaghetti Carbonara:
- The creamy base for this pasta dish is made using eggs, parmesan cheese and basil pesto
- Cook the spaghetti until tender. Drain and pour directly into the egg mixture.
- The eggs are cooked with the residual heat of the spaghetti noodles, creating a creamy delicious sauce that coats each noodle.
Pesto is a powerful secret ingredient in this quick and flavorful dish. It’s packed with basil, garlic, pine nuts and olive oil. I always have a jar of pesto sauce in my fridge ready to add to things like pizza, lasagna or pasta!
I have a simple recipe for homemade pesto if you have a bunch of fresh basil that you need to use up, but the pre made jar stuff will work perfectly for this dish too!
While the pasta is cooking you’ll want to render about 4 slices of thick cut bacon. Once the bacon has browned toss in some frozen peas and cook until heated through. Toss in the coated pasta.
Swirl it around in the bacon grease with the peas and crispy bacon bits. It’s heavenly.
Top it with a little more parmesan, freshly cracked black pepper and serve it immediately.
You’re going to fall head over heels in love with this super easy pasta dish!
Pesto Spaghetti Carbonara
Pesto Spaghetti Carbonara is just 6 ingredients and an easy 20 minutes for a delicious meal.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 8 to 10 oz spaghetti noodles
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese; DIVIDED
- 2 tbsp prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- black pepper to taste
- Cook noodles in salted water according to package instructions. While pasta is cooking place the eggs, 3/4 cup of parmesan, and pesto in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Drain the pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the liquid. Add the hot pasta to the bowl with the eggs and use tongs to stir and coat the pasta.
- Meanwhile render bacon in a skillet until browned. Add 1/2 cup of frozen peas (careful, they might splatter in the bacon grease), and cook until heated through (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Carefully pour the hot pasta into the skillet with the bacon and stir to coat. Add as much of the cooking liquid as needed to reach desired consistency. Serve immediately, topped with additional parmesan cheese and season with freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Keywords: pesto, spaghetti, carbonara, easy, quick, delicious
Originally published 5/2/2014. Updated photos 4/12/2018
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: