This super easy Creamed Spinach Recipe is warm, cheesy and ready in about 15 minutes using frozen spinach.
Now you can make that creamy goodness at home and BONUS – it’s super easy to make!
Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe
I did a lot of testing on this recipe and I finally cracked the code to make it the perfect creamy consistency while also keeping it super simple to prepare.
Luckily my kids love spinach cause we’ve been eating our greens like crazy over here. Not mad about it.
Ingredients for Creamed Spinach
Here’s a basic list of the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe. As always, you can find a handy printable recipe located below in the recipe box.
- Butter – I use salted butter
- Garlic – using the pre-minced makes it extra easy
- Frozen Chopped Spinach – I use the kind that comes in the microwaveable steam bags (it’s $1 per bag at Walmart).
- Heavy Cream – you can also use half and half for a less fatty version
- Parmesan Cheese – freshly grated is best, but the canned version will work in a pinch
- Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
How To Make Creamed Spinach From Scratch
A lot of recipes for creamed spinach require you to boil spinach and then squeeze it dry. NOT THIS ONE!
Some recipes have far too much cream or moisture to them, creating a soupy mess. NOT THIS ONE!
- Start by melting the butter in a large skillet and add in the frozen chopped spinach. Yes, straight from the freezer!
- Once the frozen spinach has defrosted in the pan and is cooked through, add in some garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in some all purpose flour and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gradually add in the heavy cream (or half and half) along with the remaining ingredients and cook until the mixture is creamy, cheesy and bubbly!
Frozen Spinach or Fresh Spinach?
I tested this recipe using both frozen chopped spinach and fresh baby spinach and I found it much easier to use the frozen spinach.
First of all- it was way more affordable to use frozen chopped spinach. A 12oz. bag of frozen spinach at Walmart was $1. A 10oz. bag of fresh baby spinach was $1.98.
When using fresh spinach – you’ll need to wilt the spinach down by placing it in a large pot of boiling water for a couple minutes. Then drain very well, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Then you’ll need to chop it up prior to adding it to the skillet.
I specifically created this recipe using the frozen spinach because I found it much easier to work with and more affordable. I took into account any excess moisture from the frozen spinach and have adjusted the cream to account for this.
How To Prepare Ahead Of Time
Ideally you’ll make this Creamed Spinach fresh on the stove top and serve it right away.
However, with Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, it’s always handy to be able to prepare a dish ahead of time.
If preparing this Creamed Spinach ahead of time:
- Cook according to the instructions, adding in an extra 1/4 cup of cream or half and half so it’s a little more saucy.
- Place the creamed spinach in an oven safe dish and let cool completely.
- Cover with foil and place in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in 350 degree oven, covered with foil, until heated through and bubbly.
- If it looks a little dry, stir in milk, half and half or cream. Enjoy!
More Spinach Recipes To Try
I’m a huge fan of spinach and I bet you are too! Here are some of my favorites…
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Candied Pecans
- Bacon Cheddar and Spinach Quiche
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Cheesy Spinach Jalapeno Crescent Ring
I know you’re going to love this easy Creamed Spinach Recipe!
Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter
- 36 oz frozen chopped spinach*
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½-2 cups heavy cream, or half and half
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter. Once melted add in the frozen chopped spinach (no need to defrost prior). Stir, until heated through and no longer frozen.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the all purpose flour and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until no flour is visible. Gradually stir in 1 ½ cups heavy cream and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, onion powder, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. If needed, add in up to ½ cup more heavy cream until desired creaminess is reached. Serve right away and enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: