You knew it wouldn’t be too long before I was back with another one skillet dinner, right? This One Skillet Polka Dot Lasagna is a remix of a recipe from my cookbook, Express Lane Cooking, and it’s seriously THE BEST!
Who has time to construct an elaborate lasagna casserole when you can get all the delicious flavors of lasagna in one super quick and easy skillet meal?
Yes, even the pasta gets cooked in this one pan!
In my cookbook I use ground beef along with a few spices to give this dish a sausage flavor, but when I have ground sausage in the fridge I just go ahead and use that in place of the ground beef.
Simply toss some dried bowtie pasta into the skillet and let it cook until tender.
The sauce thickens, the pasta gets nice and tender and all that’s left is to make the ricotta cheese dumplings… hence the polka dot part!
The recipe in my cookbook calls for more parmesan cheese and no mozzarella, but I love adding in the mozzarella for a nice cheesy filling.
My cookbook is all about using just 5 ingredients, which is completely awesome, but obviously if I have some extra cheese in the fridge, I’ll throw that in there. 😉
Dollop the ricotta mixture on top of the cooked pasta and then cover and let cook until the cheese mixture is set.
No layering, no pre-boiling noodles, no fuss.
This one skillet polka dot lasagna gives you all the flavors of lasagna in less than 30 minutes!
Just wait till you start making this and the heavenly aroma begins to fill the kitchen and neighboring rooms.
You’ll have everyone to the table in no time!
Your favorite Italian comfort food just got a makeover and she looks goooooood.
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
One Skillet Polka Dot Lasagna
- 1 lb. ground mild Italian Sausage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 2 cups bowtie pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp basil, dried (or Italian seasoning)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Brown the ground sausage in a large skillet and drain any excess fat.
- Return the skillet to the stove and add the garlic powder, onion powder, pasta sauce, pasta, water and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine, then bring a to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan cheese, egg, basil, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Scoop large dollops of the cheese mixture on top of the cooked pasta in the skillet, taking care to space them out.
- Cover the lid and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese mixture has set. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THE RECIPE TO SAVE IT!