This One Skillet Polka Dot Lasagna is a remix of a recipe from my cookbook, Express Lane Cooking, and it’s seriously THE BEST!
You knew it wouldn’t be too long before I was back with another one skillet dinner, right?
Who has time to construct an elaborate lasagna casserole when you can get all the delicious flavors of lasagna in one super quick and easy skillet meal?
Yes, even the pasta gets cooked in this one pan!
One Skillet Polka Dot Lasagna Recipe
In my cookbook I use ground beef along with a few spices to give this dish a sausage flavor, but when I have ground sausage in the fridge I just go ahead and use that in place of the ground beef.
Here’s the basic list of the ingredients you’ll need in order to make this skillet lasagna. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
- Ground Sausage – you can swap for turkey sausage if desired
- Seasonings – garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning
- Pasta Sauce – use your favorite store brand or my homemade marinara sauce
- Bowtie pasta – you can also use broken lasagna strips
- Cheese – mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan
How To Make Skillet Lasagna
Start by browning your sausage in a skillet and season with garlic powder and onion powder. If desired, you can also use fresh garlic and diced onion instead.
Next add in the pasta sauce and extra water and bring to a simmer.
Toss the dried bowtie pasta into the skillet and let it cook until tender.
As the sauce thickens, the pasta gets nice and tender and all that’s left is to make the ricotta cheese dumplings… hence the polka dot part!
Rather than layer the dish with a classic ricotta cheese filling, we’re going to make little cheese dumplings that will go on top of the pasta and sauce. When it steams under the lid it’ll cook through and create a cheesy bite that is to die for!
Cheesy Ricotta Filling for Lasagna
The recipe in my cookbook calls for more parmesan cheese and no mozzarella, but I love adding in the mozzarella for a nice cheesy filling.
My cookbook is all about using just 5 ingredients, which is completely awesome, but obviously if I have some extra cheese in the fridge, I’ll throw that in there. 😉
Dollop the ricotta mixture on top of the cooked pasta and then cover and let cook until the cheese mixture is set.
No Layered Lasagna
No layering, no pre-boiling noodles, no fuss.
This one skillet polka dot lasagna gives you all the flavors of lasagna in less than 30 minutes!
Just wait till you start making this and the heavenly aroma begins to fill the kitchen and neighboring rooms.
You’ll have everyone to the table in no time!
What To Serve With Lasagna
If you have fresh basil, don’t hesitate to toss that on top! It really adds a nice bright flavor to the dish.
Your favorite Italian comfort food just got a makeover and she looks goooooood.
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
One Skillet Polka Dot Lasagna
- 1 lb. ground mild Italian Sausage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 2 cups bowtie pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp basil, dried (or Italian seasoning)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Brown the ground sausage in a large skillet and drain any excess fat.
- Return the skillet to the stove and add the garlic powder, onion powder, pasta sauce, pasta, water and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine, then bring a to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan cheese, egg, basil, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Scoop large dollops of the cheese mixture on top of the cooked pasta in the skillet, taking care to space them out.
- Cover the lid and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese mixture has set. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THE RECIPE TO SAVE IT!