I’m so ready for the cool, crisp air that accompanies Fall weather! That way I can bake all the pumpkin, gingerbread, and spiced things I can think of!
First up for this season’s pumpkin recipes is this Pumpkin Crumb Cake!
Can we talk about how bad of an impulse buyer I am?
Whenever I am at the grocery store (and I’m there A LOT), I can’t help but find myself browsing the many magazines, candy bars and other treats that are strategically placed for people such as myself, right at the check out lines.
Without fail, I’ll always manage to need something right at the very end.
One main culprit – magazines!
I’m a closet magazine junky.
I love flipping through People, US Weekly and I especially love the home and garden magazines too.
But what always gets me are the food magazines. Right now with Fall baking in full swing, I can’t help but flip through and drool over all the treats.
Just a few weeks ago I stumbled on the Paula Deen magazine and after flipping through it I stopped on a recipe for Butternut Squash Crumb Cake.
I fell in love with the piled high crumb topping, but wanted so badly to make it with pumpkin rather than butternut squash.
So I did!
Since I didn’t use the squash and opted for some canned pumpkin puree, this cake actually comes together quite fast!
It’s moist and delicious, and that crumb topping… have mercy! It’s totally worth it!
I had two slices of this cake and then I had to give it away to a friend because I was afraid I would end up eating the whole thing!
You know how that goes… a little slice here, a little slice there, yada yada yada, it’s gone.
Pumpkin Crumb Cake
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup flour
For the Batter:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream, or plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk, or cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8" square baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- To prepare the topping, start by melting the butter in a small pot over medium-low heat. Add the brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in flour, then let cool completely.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl, then whisk to combine.
- Combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream (OR plain greek yogurt) and vanilla in another large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Whisk egg mixture into flour mixture just until smooth, and pour into prepared pan. Crumble the topping and sprinkle it over the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
For the icing:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth and then drizzle over the cooled cake. Enjoy!
Other recipes you may enjoy: