Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole is made with cheesy rice, a creamy sauce, and a few tender veggies to make it a complete family meal!
This delicious old school chicken and rice casserole is a family favorite, even my picky eaters love it!
Creamy Chicken Rice Casserole
If you’re looking for an easy casserole recipe with chicken, this is it! The creamy sauce, the cheesy rice, it’s all so delicious and cozy.
With just a few ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, this super easy casserole comes together in minutes.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this recipe. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
- Rotisserie chicken – shredded
- Instant Rice
- Cream of chicken soup
- Milk – whole or 2%
- Onion Powder
- Garlic – fresh minced
- Salt & Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Mixed Vegetables – thawed
- Colby Jack Cheese
How To Make Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
If you make this casserole with rotisserie chicken and instant rice, it comes together even faster! This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights.
PREP INGREDIENTS Start by greasing a 9×13 inch baking dish and preheating the oven to 350 F. Thaw mixed vegetables and shred rotisserie chicken.
COMBINE INGREDIENTS In a large bowl, combine the instant rice, cream of chicken soup, half of the cheese, and mixed vegetables. Gently mix together. Add in all spices and milk.
PREP FOR BAKING After mixing, transfer to the 9×13 in. casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for about 40 minutes until bubbling and rice is tender. The cheese will be beginning to get golden brown.
If you don’t like a slightly crispy cheese layer on top, bake the casserole without the cheese on top, then remove the casserole from the oven for the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle the cheese on, and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. This will make the cheese a little more melty and gooey as opposed to a little more crispy.
GARNISH After removing the casserole from the oven, garnish the top with chopped parsley for a little pop of color and flavor. Serve warm.
Tips and Variations
Here are a few ideas for customizing this casserole to fit your tastes…
- Need a little crunch? Add crushed Ritz crackers or plain corn flakes to the top of this casserole.
- Gluten-free option? Leave out the cream of chicken soup and instead use 1 cup of chicken broth. It won’t be quite as creamy but will still be delicious.
- Add chopped green onions to the top after baking for a pop of flavor!
Can You Make This Ahead?
Absolutely! You can prepare the recipe as directed and then cover and refrigerate for a day or two ahead of baking.
Just be aware that it will increase the baking time by 10 minutes or so and you’ll need to test the rice to ensure it’s done.
For safety reasons, do not place a cold glass baking pan in a hot oven, as it may shatter. You can place it in the oven as it preheats or on a room temperature baking sheet in the hot oven to prevent it touching the hot rack.
More easy Casserole Recipes
Need a few more easy casserole ideas? Here are a few more to try…
- Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- The Best Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Easy Ravioli Lasagna Casserole
I know you’ll love this easy dinner recipe as much as our family does!
Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups minute rice, uncooked
- 10 oz cream of chicken soup
- 2 ½ cups milk , (2% or whole preferred)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Shred the rotisserie chicken and set aside. Thaw the mixed vegetables in a colander or strainer and run it under warm water until the veggies are no longer frozen.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded cooked chicken, thawed mixed vegetables, minute rice, cream of chicken soup, milk, and all spices.
- Add in 1½ cups of shredded cheese and fold in gently.
- Transfer to greased 9x13" baking dish and spread smooth. Sprinkle on remaining 1½ cups of cheese. (see notes)
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Serve warm.