This Super Easy Pico de Gallo Salsa is a fresh, chunky Mexican salsa that’s made with tomatoes, onion, jalapeño and cilantro!
What is Pico de Gallo Salsa?
- Pico de Gallo, also known as Salsa Fresca is made up of freshly chopped tomato, onion, jalapeño (or serrano peppers), fresh cilantro, a little salt and a squeeze of lime juice.
Homemade Pico de Gallo is one of the most simple salsa’s to throw together, but I have some special tips to help you make THE VERY BEST kind.
What type of Tomatoes do I use for Pico de Gallo?
My favorite type of tomato to use for Pico de Gallo is Roma Tomatoes. This is because the Roma tomatoes are meatier with less juice. A pico de gallo is a chunky salsa, not a juicy salsa, so the less juice you have, the better your salsa is.
If you wanted to use a beef tomato or vine tomato, you could also do that. Just try to remove as much of the seeded part of the tomato as possible. You can also use a strainer to remove excess tomato juices.
What type of onion do I use for Pico de Gallo?
The traditional onion for a fresh Pico de Gallo is a white onion, but I love adding in the purple onion for color and I like the milder flavor of purple onion as opposed to the harsher white onion. It’s really up to you on this one, both work great.
As for whether it’s best to use jalapeño peppers or serraño peppers, well that’s up to you as well. The jalapeño is a milder pepper, where the serraño packs more heat.
Leave the seeds in for extra heat or take them out for a more mild flavor!
Finish off your homemade Pico de Gallo with some freshly chopped cilantro, plenty of salt and a good squeeze of lime juice.
You’re going to love this fresh and easy salsa!
Easy Pico de Gallo Salsa
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced and strained of any juices
- 1/2 cup diced purple onion, or white
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Keep covered and stored in the fridge.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: