These Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Nachos are topped with juicy shredded beef and loaded with bold flavors and a delicious avocado salsa.
If you’ve ever had Slow Cooker Sweet Pulled Pork Tacos, you know that slow cooked meat is delicious in any form, but especially in nachos. You’ll never want to go back to grilling after this!
I’ve taken the delicious flavors of a simple carne asada, but turned it into a succulent, slow cooked shredded beef.
Shredded Beef Nachos Recipe
This is the EASIEST shredded beef recipe out there. Making it in the crock pot takes time but it comes out perfectly tender and juicy.
For toppings, rather mashing up avocados I simply tossed them with some diced tomato, onion, jalapeño, lime and cilantro. It made the perfect pico de Gallo topping to the tender shredded beef!
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to whip up these carne asada inspired nachos and the pico de Gallo for the top. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Steak – chuck roast works best for this recipe
- Onion – sweet variety like yellow or white.
- Bell Pepper – red and green
- Jalapeño – fresh
- Chili Powder
- Garlic & Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
Ingredients for the Pico de Gallo
Here’s what you’ll need for this super simple pico.
- Tomatos – roma
- Purple Onion – you can also use white or yellow.
- Cilantro – fresh
- Lime Juice – fresh is best
How To Make Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
Don’t feel limited by the thought of making Mexican shredded beef, it really is so simple to put together. I’ll walk you through the process step by step!
Combine the spice rub ingredients in a small bowl. Generously rub all over the chuck roast steak.
Place the beef in the bottom of a slow cooker, and top with the diced bell peppers and onions. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
PRO TIP: No need to add any extra liquid to the slow cooker, the meat will release PLENTY of juices along with the bell peppers and onion.
Make the Pico De Gallo
Combine the avocados, tomatoes, purple onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Gently stir together, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Once the meat is cooked until very tender, shred with 2 forks into pieces.
Place a pile of tortilla chips on a plate, and cover with hot shredded beef and cheese. Spoon pico de Gallo on top, and sour cream as another delicious topping option. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Serve the juicy shredded beef in a taco shell with the avocado pico on top! Or wrap it in a soft tortilla with some refried beans for a lovely shredded beef burrito.
- For more toppings, use sour cream, classic Pico de Gallo, black olives, or more fresh jalapeños.
- You can leave out the jalapenos if you don’t want them spicy!
Make Ahead and Storage
Refrigerate: Cool any leftovers, and transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Cool completely, then place the shredded beef in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely and heat before using.
The best cut of beef for making a juicy and tender shredded beef is going to be a chuck roast (also labeled sometimes as: shoulder roast or chuck eye roast).
No need to cut before cooking. Shredding afterwards is much less work.
This recipe calls for LOW and SLOW heat for maximum tenderness and juiciness. I recommend cooking it on the low setting rather than less time at the high setting.
This recipe is delicious with the pico and sour cream topping, but you could also serve it with black beans and rice on top!
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
These are a few of our favorite beef recipes to make in the slow cooker. Make sure to try at least one!
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
I hope you enjoy this SUPER easy slow cooker shredded beef nachos recipe as much as we do!
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Nachos
- 2 lbs. chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
For the Avocado Pico de Gallo
- 3 large Avocados, pitted and diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup diced purple onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice, about 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Nachos:
- Tortilla chips
- sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
For The Shredded Beef
- Combine all the spice rub ingredients in a small bowl. Generously rub all over the chuck roast steak. Place in the bottom of a slow cooker, top with the diced peppers and onions. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
For The Pico de Gallo
- Combine the Avocado Pico de Gallo ingredients in a bowl, and gently stir to combine. Cover and place in fridge until ready to use.
- Once beef is tender, use two forks to shred the steak (should fall apart very easily).
- Place a pile of tortilla chips on a plate, cover with the hot carne asada, some shredded cheese, a nice helping of avocado pico, and some sour cream.If desired, you can pop the nachos under the broiler in your oven to melt the cheese more.